Featured Posts

Hey Folks,

Can anyone recommend best procedures in changing oil for a BMC 1.5?

After running engine and pumping out the oil with only few drops left I wondered following...

-do I clean out the system with anything before replenishing the engine with new oil?

- how much oil is expected to be withdrawn from the engine for a BMC 1.5? ( I pulled out roughly 2.5 litres of oil)

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Deef

Hey Folks,

After running engine and pumping out the oil with only few drops left I wondered following...

-do I clean out the system with anything before replenishing the engine with new oil?

- how much oil is expected to be withdrawn from the engine for a BMC 1.5? ( I pulled out roughly 2.5 litres of oil)

Deef

Hi

Yep just do it no need for flushing it's just more mess to get rid of. The BMC 1.5 should take 4.7 liters / 8.25 pints including whats in the oil filter so yours is a bit low if that is all you got out, although to be honest most if not all BMCs burn oil when they are running and if you have one of those brass oil extractor type pumps they don't get it all out anyway IMO. A much better plan is to use an electric or Pelham type pump and put a thin pipe down the dipstick hole. But others will tell you different. Also if you have run your engine to warm the oil up so making it easier to pump out then a good lot of the oil will be up in the engine so wont get pumped out. My BMC 1.5 throws at least a liter out of the rear oil seal as well if I put the full 4.7 liters in so I usually only put about 3.5 liters in initially then run the engine for a short while and after letting it settle check the oil again and if the level is below the halfway mark top it up.

Pete

The manual is here with everything you need to know specs wise for that engine.

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/downloads/bmc1500L-diesel-workshop-manual.pdf

Edited by pete.i

One very useful bit of advice about removing the oil filter is to undo the two bolts holding the filter head onto the block and dismantle the whole lot in a tray. It is much easier, and less messier than trying to remove the filter cartridge and replace the sealing ring whilst the head is still attached to the block.

Edited by David Schweizer

One very useful bit of advice about removing the oil filter is to undo the two bolts holding the filter head onto the block and dismantle the whole lot in a tray. It is much easier, and less messier than trying to remove the filter cartridge and replace the sealing ring whilst the head is still attached to the block.

Or, purchase a conversion kit and change to a spin on filter.... much cleaner

Hey Folks,

Deef

My engine holds the same amount roughly and I was quite shocked the first time I changed the oil and saw the amount in the drain tray. I usually put in a tea mug full of red diesel to thin the oil then run up to temp and pump out with the fitted pump. I then undo the union on the sump and let the excess trickle out. Be careful not to overfill the engine when refilling as BMC 1.5's are notorious for blowing out oil through the breather pipe.