Advice please - eastern section of the the Kennet and Avon

Cleyley Bob

Featured Posts

We have the opportunity of spending 3 or 4 days on the eastern section of the Kennet and Avon next week, and would welcome any advice from forum members as to places to visit, pubs not to miss, good places to moor etc - along with any necessary navigational tips.

I know every twist and turn of the western sections of the Kennet and Avon - having been brought up in the village of Winsley, just above Avoncliffe and Limpley Stoke.

This year we have the opportunity of exploring the eastern end.

We're planning a handover of our 'share boat' on the Thames near Reading at the week-end and plan to be back at Oxford for Easter week-end, before returning north up the southern Oxford.

We'd be grateful of any suggestions or recommendations.

Love peaceful and tranquil places, but with the Western Region main railway line alongside - guess I'll have to brush up my loco spotting knowledge.

Well - it could be an exciting ride. The Kennet is still very "brisk", and the local hire boat operator at Aldermaston Wharf cancelled all the bookings for this week. Next week might be ok.

Where are you starting from?

Tesco Reading for food stocking up. Mooring, overnight or for visiting town, behind prison ( now unused I believe). Bel & Dragon for nice food but not cheap. Whetherspoons in town near canal. Don't moor between Reading and Burghfield. Burghfield has reasonable eating/ drinking house.

Many thanks to billS, sueb and Neil2 for there advice.

The attached report on the 1st March shows just how the area has been badly affected during the winter floods and whilst river levels are down, the infrastructure looks in a bad way.

http://riverkennet.blogspot.co.uk/

Think we may continue east on the Thames, or go west to Lechlade.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Cleyley Bob