Diesel in Northampton

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

It's only five miles to Gayton junction from Northampton, You be spending most of the time in time in locks (17). As for fuel, I only use 6" between Gayton Junction and Peterborough on average. So 5" is more then enough.

Except.......

One of our boats has a tank where the take off point is (in round numbers) about 4" from the bottom of the tank.

I have absolutely no idea if it is just drawn off at that point through a straight hole, or whether there is actually some kind of downward facing pipe inside the tank that reaches to nearer the bottom.

I have never been prepared to find out by trying to run on air.

So if you told me "5 inches is enough" my reply would be that I perhaps have an absolute maximum of an inch of usable fuel, even though the tank dips as being 5" of fuel in it overall.

Well, we bought 5 litres in Morrisons as suggested just for piece of mind. Then bought 134 litres at Gayton. The boat manual suggests that we have a 180 litre tank so in theory we had plenty left.

The arm was very pretty but a shame about the road noise. There were quite a few floating weeds lower down the arm and a couple of ver low pounds. We were helped up the flight by a chap called Neil. Thanks Neil.

Edited by Alway Swilby

We were helped up the flight by a chap called Neil. Thanks Neil.

Any chance this was "Hairy Neil" formerly of this forum?

I know there are lots of Neils, but that one does have a habit of popping up near lock flights.

Here he is a year or two back.....

CHERTSEY112.jpg