Webasto Install

Nobag

Featured Posts

I fitted a 4kw Webasto a few months ago and it is working fine, the only issue i have is the noise.

When the boiler is running, the noise it makes does not sound that bad outside of the boat, but when sat inside it makes quite a din.

I have bolted the boiler directly to the steel bulkhead between the engine compartment and the cabin, the bulkhead is covered with ply on the inside.

I was wondering how and where other people have fitted theirs and if they used any sort of sound insulation.

Thanks for any advice.

WP_000205.jpg

Why is the silencer not lagged

It was not finished at that stage.

Mine is bolted to a wooden backboard, and there is no appreciable noise coming from it. Perhaps the reverberations of metal on metal are the cause?

I did think of something like that, but thought it might get hot and perhaps burn.

I have to confess that most of the TTC & E installs I do on narrow boats are fixed directly to steel bulkheads with no complaints as to noise. I see from the photograph that it is a used non marine unit, are you sure there is no fault causing the noise like a faulty circulation pump or air motor bearings. Also just to be clear, it is the unit itself and not the ticking dosing pump that is causing the noise?

I have to confess that most of the TTC & E installs I do on narrow boats are fixed directly to steel bulkheads with no complaints as to noise. I see from the photograph that it is a used non marine unit, are you sure there is no fault causing the noise like a faulty circulation pump or air motor bearings. Also just to be clear, it is the unit itself and not the ticking dosing pump that is causing the noise?

To be honest the faults you list may be present, but as i have not heard a known good install from inside another boat i nothing to compare with. When the boiler goes down to half speed the noise is not too bad, so it may be as you say a problem with bearings.

Other's on this forum have said they are happy with the noise the boiler makes, so i guess i was fishing as to how people have fitted theirs in case there was a particular way it should be done.

The pump ticks away nicely, the noise is definitely coming from the boiler,

Just to be sure, as I can't see it in the picture, when I say mounted directly to steel I mean using the standard H bracket supplied in the marine / motor caravan kits, but it's just a bit of pressed steel to stand the unit off a little, there are no rubber mounts with a marine kit except for the pump bracket.

For a DIY anti vibration fixing how about a baseboard then 3 to 4" lengths of car radiator hose fixed vertically with bolts, washers and nyloc nuts thorough opposite sides, to the bulkhead or another baseboard.

Many years ago I took the engine out of an old marina, after removing the gearbox I noted that the entire weight of the engine could be supported by all the various radiator and heater hoses. ohmy.pngsmile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

For a DIY anti vibration fixing how about a baseboard then 3 to 4" lengths of car radiator hose fixed vertically with bolts, washers and nyloc nuts thorough opposite sides, to the bulkhead or another baseboard.

Many years ago I took the engine out of an old marina, after removing the gearbox I noted that the entire weight of the engine could be supported by all the various radiator and heater hoses. ohmy.pngsmile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thing is though Pete, these things don't vibrate, they are quite smooth, the only time I have had a problem on a unit that was sound with no bearing noise was on a DIY fit I was called to. Instead of using the H bracket it had been through bolted from the back side which was holding it hard against the bulkhead, this caused the water pump to touch (actually be forced against) the bulkhead, not only did it transmit noise but moved the pump spring clip and caused a leak too.

Just to be sure, as I can't see it in the picture, when I say mounted directly to steel I mean using the standard H bracket supplied in the marine / motor caravan kits, but it's just a bit of pressed steel to stand the unit off a little, there are no rubber mounts with a marine kit except for the pump bracket.

Yes i bought a stainless steel version from the Turkish guy on ebay.

I have some 12mm cement board left over after fitting a fire, so i think i will put a 2' x 2' piece of that behind the boiler.