Lock Keeper face uncertain future…The Guardian Newspaper article

Featured Posts

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/02/floods-river-levels-lock-keeper

Very interesting and worrying article this; as a canoe coach who has run expeditions for vulnerable adults along the Thames, I've always found the lock-keepers invaluable for advice and guidance.

Then it's up to you to make your views known clearly through something like Canoe England or even ATYC who claim to represent ALL users (not).

It pains me (euphemism) that folks make a fuss, but do nothing about it until it's too late. I and others are trying to get feedback / support from River users and the result is a resounding silence (well, a merest whimper).

Been on the cards for years, BW/CRT did it and now the EA are following their lead. Shame though, as the residentials have so much knowledge about their section, that 'mobile teams' can't hope to match.

Regards,

Lockie.

The canals are in effect "self drive". The majority of boats are designed for the infrastructure and the locks are easy to operate.

The Thames is completely different. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the size of any lock (well there is but it's hysterical (!) ) and there are all manner of users, the vast majority of whom are not fit to operate the mechanism and/or choose not to do so.

In the main the management / decision makers ate EA and CART know diddly squat about the day to day operation; they are managers - nuff said.