Front page News Halifax Courier 1st December

Rob B

Featured Posts

Boat chugs on...but no driver

POLICE were today searching a canal after a boat was found adrift with its engine running...and no one on board.

The narrowboat was in gear with its motor turning over – and just a dog on board – when a passer-by spotted it on the Calder and Hebble navigation at Sowerby Bridge.

The boat owner, believed to be 38-year-old Paul Burns, has not been seen since the discovery.

A missing person inquiry was immediately launched and a police dive team combed a short stretch of the canal yesterday amid fears that the owner had fallen overboard.

The search resumed at daybreak today, this time combing a two-mile stretch of water as far as Copley.

A friend of the missing man, who did not want to be named, said: "He has only been here a couple of weeks and he wasn't on his boat all the time.

"Someone found his boat drifting with its engine running and reported it to the police.

"There was no sign of the owner on board.

"It was unusual because he would never have left his dog. The door and the hatches were open and the engine was running.

"You never leave your boat anywhere with the engine running."

The boat was towed back to Sowerby Bridge canal basin by police and the Staffordshire bull terrier was left with family.

Boat owners were yesterday concerned for Mr Burns' safety.

His friend added: "He was a lovely lad and he doted on his dog.

"Because he wasn't on the boat all the time we didn't realise that he was missing until yesterday.

"The dog was definitely pining for him. It wouldn't let me on the boat at first.

"We are still hoping that he might turn up. I didn't realise there was any reason to worry because he would often take it out overnight.

"But we are really concerned. I am hoping he will walk around the corner and make us all feel really silly."

The missing man has not been seen since 1.30pm on Wednesday.

He is described as about 5ft 10ins of stocky build with unruly greying hair. He often wore a chunky knitted jumper.

The boat was found in an stretch of the canal known as the Narrow Channel.

Police stressed that they are pursuing several lines of inquiry. A spokesman said: "Shortly before 5pm on Wednesday, police in Sowerby Bridge received a report that a boat was floating on the canal with nobody on board." He added: "The boat was searched and officers undertook inquiries overnight to locate the owner.

"Officers resumed their inquiries yesterday morning and are growing increasingly concerned about the welfare of this man, although we do not know who he is yet.

"The underwater search unit has been searching the canal all yesterday and officers are continuing to scale the local area."

Anyone with information should contact Halifax help desk on 01422 337059.

http://www.halifaxtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2...ticleID=1909422

The latest news is that a body has been found near where the empty boat was. Not confirmed but it seems like the chap fell overboard. The boat is a cruiser stern with low railings arond the back. Perhaps another case of railings making a fall worse - i.e. fatal.

"Perhaps another case of railings making a fall worse - i.e. fatal."

Gosh - I didn't realise that railings tended to make a fall worse ... presumably that you topple over rather than just take a step off into the water? But on the other hand, the railings stop a hell of a lot of stepping into the water. I plan to put two small railings on the back of my boat, but this makes you think. I still think I'd prefer them to be there.

Ben

Hi Ben

I don't know your style of stern but if you must put a 'railing' round it ensure that it at least of a height that will not cause you to rotate as you fall.

A height around your hip height should be ok to reduce the possibility of you falling overboard, anything around knee height is dangerous in my opinion but be aware of the space between the deck and the rail that children could fall through.

Hi Ben

I don't know your style of stern but if you must put a 'railing' round it ensure that it at least of a height that will not cause you to rotate as you fall.

A height around your hip height should be ok to reduce the possibility of you falling overboard, anything around knee height is dangerous in my opinion but be aware of the space between the deck and the rail that children could fall through.

Hi Bottle,

Thanks for that - it's a semi-trad, and I am thinking about two of those straight line rails at the very rear of the boat (I'm not at all sure now) - but thanks for the advice about height.

Ben

boat4.jpg

Something like above, these are usually used as seats and designed to perch on, so tend to be higher than the 'rails' round a cruiser stern

The image is from Cambrian cruisers web site.

Yep, those are the ones ... I've already had an almighty slip when I stepped off the back of the boat onto some wet decking a couple of weeks ago :banghead: ... so they'll persuade me to step off sideways as well! As you say, they would need to be at a height to perch on also.

Cheers

Ben

Frightening, just shows, I'll be wearing a lifejacket when alone in future, if you knock yourself out falling overboard.... Horrible.

Frightening scenario.

My heart goes out to the family of the poor chap!

Having lost a very close family member a couple of years ago, in a boating accident, i know what they are going through!

Why! Why! Why! is it still deemed sissy to wear a life jacket? It only takes a split second, and it's too late!

I never though I'd be saying it, till our tragedy, but It's high time automatic automatic jackets are made compulsory in all boating. Manual lifejackets should be left for airplanes!

Nipper

Very sad.

A lifejacket will not help much if you tip into a reversing prop - the cut is generally standing depth - the dangers come from the prop and being crushed.

Narrowboats dont really need re-inventing - to see what works and what does not try looking at the 150 years plus of constant commercial operation (and 50 years plus of motorised) - there were never any fences, perches or other obstructions on the stern - that has to have been for a good reason. While accidents are thankfully rare I think the rearmost deck should always be clear for safety reasons.

Edited by WJM