corned beef hash - simple to do and very tasty

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Ok

Ingredients

tin of corned beef

4 cooked beetroots (available vacum packed long sell by date - do not use pickled ones!!)

1 onion

new potatoes (amount depends on how many you are cooking for - allow 1lb per person, at least)

1 tsp very lazy garlic/chilli

1-2 eggs per person

cooking oil

Method

Cook new pots until nearly cooked (15 mins ish)

Rinse beetroot, dry and then chop into smallish chunks

Do the same with the cornbeef (if you put the tin in the fridge for a couple of hours before you do this it will be easy to chop)

Chop onions

cut pots into 1inch ish pieces, fry onions until soft, add chilli and garlic, fry over gentle heat add pots, cornbeef and beetroot stir, fry until heated through plus pots a bit browned. Meanwhile boil water and poach eggs and serve one/two on top of hash.

PS only poach 1/2 eggs at same time, unless you have a proper poacher!!

This is an ideal dish for boaters as most ingredients are store cupboard, have not tried tin new pots but sure they would work ok.

Julie :banghead:

• 5 months later...

You can use the same idea for making a very nice variations

Shepherds Pie - just add a tin of condensed Oxtail Soup to the beef whislt cooking and serve covered with mash rather than plain.

Stew - as above, add tomoatoes and dumplings

Shepherds Suet Pie - as for normal pie, but cover completely with suet and cook in oven.

Edited by Chris J W

I love this dish, it's one of my fav's but trying to get the kids to eat it is something else!!!

my kids fight over it , why has he got more than me , his plate is bigger so he gets more.

lfresh bread "warbartons" with anchor butter spread thick with corned dog is a recipe for war , and for some reason if we are on the boat having it the fights are more feirce.

could be the fresh air sharpening the appetite.

• 1 year later...

Strange how this dish varies form region to region. We have this sometimes especially if hes on nights so I can leave it cook on its own, but we don't do the garlic or chilli in it nor do we have poached eggs with it.I do sometiimes put onions and mushrooms in (pre browned) always use dark rich soy sauce (my variation) in the gravy and use ordinary potatoes not new, sliced and layered with the corned beef. Great if dumped inside a big Yorkshire Pudding when cooked - excellent!!.

I guess since my mum taught me how to do this and it was a favourite during rationing when she first started serving it up you used whatever was to hand.

Edited by tillergirl

• 5 months later...