Kelvin p2r gear convervion

Springer

Featured Posts

This is a P4 despite what the seller calls it, recently re-listed on eBay with apparently a PRM gearbox attached, so quite likely with suitable fabricated adaptor and some mods to the drive I would have thought.

$_12.JPG

The joker originally had it on for £20,000 ohmy.png now merely £10,000 rolleyes.gif - likely value £600!

Mmmmmmmm....... Absolutely nothing, but I want to mount the engine below the cruiser deck and changing to reverse gear will be a tad difficult without some kind of conversion to the existing set up,

I would like to keep it traditional .....

Any ideas?.

Sorry , don't understand the question!

But it does have a hand wheel and chain to reverse gear.

I think a photo is needed

Some boat gearboxes have a chain and handwheel with the chain inside a tall casting

Richard

It has a hand wheel and chain but it's not in the casing, it's attached to the starting handle bar but free rides, if that makes sense...

How do I post a picture?

Like this I imagine. The gearchange handwheel merely uses the starting handle shaft as a pivot point with no working connection to it - a feature common to many Kelvins.

Kelvin_P2R_engine_009.jpg

thanks to MPS

Edited by by'eck

Bicycle chain is one of the easier things to set up for remote controls. Two sprockets to get the chain going sideways, two more to turn it back vertical, up through the deck and a handwheel on a stand

Even easier if the controls are on the right of the cruiser stern rather than the left - but a bit unusual for a right handed steerer

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Haha... Competition ?

My first boat! Only competition I'll have is trying to steer adequately to not make a fool of myself..!

That was my original concern with getting into reverse quick enough to avoid trouble.

It will never be as quick into reverse as a modern engine and gearbox with a Morse lever.

But... The engine isn't going to decelerate like a modern engine either, so you are going to have to learn how to work with this set up.

With that in mind, I can't see it being a problem.

Richard

When I had this set up, it was about three turns each way from neutral, but of course that could be geared differently.

BTW, what a great paint job on that P2, my P4 looked just as good as that when it came from the 'reconditioners'

That's fine then , cheers all.

I'm a quick learner....