Inverter earth

real_vibes

Featured Posts

The boat is correctly earthed, that's why I thought it would be nice and simple to just earth the inverter to the GI.

It would be my assumption that earthing it to either of the GI terminals would have the same effect.

But I am no expert.

No, if you connect it to the shore side of the GI there is a pretty good chance that the GI may be bypassed at some point and rendered ineffective, and there is no up-side to doing this. Definitely connect it to the boat side. Edited by nicknorman

One side of the GI and the shoreline inlet earth pin should be connected to each other ONLY, and nothing else.

Then the other side of the GI is then connected to the consumer unit earth common block, hull earth bond and so on.

How are loads connected to the inverter, is there some sort of changeover switch?

And BTW did you manage to sort out your shore supply polarity issue in the end?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I'd be tempted to run the earth wire directly from the inverter to the hull earth point. The reason being, if its connected via the GI's earth point, then there's 2 wires and 4 connectors between the inverter earth and the hull. If its direct, then its 1 wire and 2 connections. Of course, logically, they are the same thing, but the less the number of connections, the more reliable it would be.