boat insurance

Whitewater

Featured Posts

Depends on what level of cover you've taken. Just ask your insurer, they're the only people who will know.

I'm guessing but would suggest that it wouldn't be covered by a standard policy. Might come under maintenance, and they might not cover for those type issues, where as water damage damage sustained through a broken in to roof hatch might well be covered. All in the small print somewhere possibly unsure.png

The items that have been damaged would be covered as personnel items if stipulated. The leak itself is unlikely to be covered as the insurer may put it down to lack of maintainable.

If it was caused by a certain act, say a lightening strike or a heavy storm then you may have a chance.

Read your policy wording.

If I find water inside, I pull them off and reseal them pretty quickly.

ETA - water will follow the path of least resistance, I don't know your boat but assuming it's like 99% of them, look for the first hole in the roof FORWARD of the damage, chances are a mushroom or a houdini hatch. Get some marine flex/silicon/Stixall/tarred rope, unscrew the fitting, scrape the old gunk off and reseal with plenty of new stuff.

What is damaged and how badly?

Edited by Charlotte Burnett

What sort of boat are we talking about? A clone craft narrowboat with a single leaky mushroom for a couple of months would probably suffer little more than a puddle on the floor, a bilge of water and a little mould. If the plywood was crappy then this might have started to delaminate in the vicinity of the leak/the low point directly above the puddle. To wreck the entire headlining 2 months assuming it's not made of silk or something equally silly would require a big hole indeed. The dutch barge I used to live on had a dog box that leaked like a sieve and had done for 10 years but the headlining hadn't rotted.

What sort of boat are we talking about? A clone craft narrowboat with a single leaky mushroom for a couple of months would probably suffer little more than a puddle on the floor, a bilge of water and a little mould. If the plywood was crappy then this might have started to delaminate in the vicinity of the leak/the low point directly above the puddle. To wreck the entire headlining 2 months assuming it's not made of silk or something equally silly would require a big hole indeed. The dutch barge I used to live on had a dog box that leaked like a sieve and had done for 10 years but the headlining hadn't rotted.

Converted Big Woolwich. Not sure how old the conversion is, though.