Electric Bikes

Featured Posts

• 4 months later...

Not the cheap ones you see in car accessory shops.

Good bikes have better engineering - sadly, this doesn't come cheap.

You could look at Heinzmann kits to motorize an existing bike. But one of those is best part of £800, and can come to more.

Why is it hard for you to pedal? The reason I say is that there's lots of things you could change that might make pedalling a conventional bike easier. You can move saddle/bars around, fit lower gears, shorter cranks(smaller leg movements), oval cranks(make it easier to pedal slowly), and that's even before you've looked at the world of recumbents.

There's lots of good stuff out there.

Message me if you want to chat about this.

A friend bought an electric bike from a market trader for not much more than £50. It really was rubbish you should look for something a bit better.

I saved the motor and transmission off it, 24 volt motor that was the best part, still have it, going very cheap.

I bought an electric scooter, it was the type with fat wheels so I could use it on rough ground. I used to carry it around on the boat. Apart from initial trials, bombing about the streets, I only used it once at Market Drayton from the canal to the shops. Had to push it half way back as the battery ran out. Pretty good fun though, sold it for 30 quid on Ebay :cheers:

Depends where your using it. I tried one for going to work a few years ago but I live in the midst of the Pennines. It didn't last the distance, which is ony a 40 minute walk, but up a steep hill. Unless you have a particular objection, a 50cc motorbike will do the job much better. If you intend to use it in the flatlands, or just along the towpath, it may be OK.

I have just sen the Bike that my Daughter's postman uses. It is a three wheeler with a large container for the mail resting between the two rear wheels, but on the axle is what I can only describe as a Dynomotor (anyone remember those things?). The rider cycles for a little way and then engages the motor which drives the bike forwards about twice the distance that was cycled. not ecxactly a cycle free bike, but certainly assisted motion. This cycle is issued by the Post Office, so is peresumably a commercially manufactured vehicle, although I have never seen any in bike shops.