Journalist looking to speak with London boaters

michaelinclapton

Featured Posts

Dear all,

I am a journalist and I am looking to speak with some London boaters for an article I am researching. I have heard from several people over the past few months that London's waterways are becoming more and more crowded. This was confirmed in a report published by the Greater London Assembly in November.

From what I hear, it seems that a lot of people are taking to the waterways as a cheaper alternative to rented accommodation (in some instances) or to save for a deposit to buy a house, rather than paying 'dead money' to a landlord.

In particular I am looking to speak with boaters:

- Who have only recently taken to the waterways - whether they own their boat outright or are hiring from an owner - to find out why

- Those who have bought a boat with the express intention of saving for a deposit for a house

- Longer standing boaters: have you noticed an increase in traffic, crowded moorings and other related problems such as a strain on infrastructure like water supplies?

I am keen to hear your thoughts on what issues are likely to arise on London's waterways in the next few years and what the authorities might do in response.

FYI, I don't have a commission yet and I am in the process of doing some preliminary research before pitching to a publication.

Thanks for your time.

Michael

Michael, I wish you luck in your venture, I can't help as I am not from that area. Hopefully you will find someone to help you but I think you can also expect a degree of hostility and suspicion from some quarters on here. Just to mention that if some folk are prepared to help you, they will probably not want to publish contact details on the public forum. There is a PM (private message) system, but to participate in that you have to make at least 5 posts, therefore whilst awaiting responses perhaps you should increase your post count.

You could try the London Boaters FB page, but as Nick says there may be some initial hostility as LBs seem to be targeted by every student wanting to do a "piece" on boaters in London! If i were you i'd just go for a walk along the towpath at the weekend (the forecast is good for once biggrin.png) and chat to folks.. an honest face-to-face approach would go down much better IMO...

Thanks for your feedback and tips. I actually have a few boating acquaintances I am in touch with, I was just hoping to cast the net a bit wider. Cheers

Very good advice from lampini there.

How wide a net do you wish to cast then? Are you really saying the hundreds of boats you can't avoid encountering moored on virtually any section of London canalside do not contain enough victims for your interviews? How many boaters do you want to interview?

Or are you really saying you want to do it all from your office/on the phone? Your article will be the poorer for this, should that is the case.

MtB

Very good advice from lampini there.

How wide a net do you wish to cast then? Are you really saying the hundreds of boats you can't avoid encountering moored on virtually any section of London canalside do not contain enough victims for your interviews? How many boaters do you want to interview?

Or are you really saying you want to do it all from your office/on the phone? Your article will be the poorer for this, should that is the case.

MtB

As a matter of fact I've spoken with plenty of boaters that way, the problem is nearly none of them wish to go on the record - without which a story doesn't really stand up. Following the scandals of the past few years many people are wary when a journalist approaches them in the street and that's one of the reasons why journalists today employ a range of research methods for case studies, ranging from old-fashioned door stepping to using the internet. But thanks for your advice anyway.

Hi Michael.

A word in your ear.

You need to realise that there are three types of folks who hang around canals.

1. The expert boaters. These are all regular posters on here, and they know everything there is to know about boats and boating. Most of them have done it since before Noah was a boy. There's nowt they don't have an opinion on....

2. Gongoozlers. These are the rest of humanity, who haven't yet ascended to the dizzy heights of group 1. They don't wear silly hats, and don't refer to their colleagues as "crew". And are certainly not worthy of the attention of group 1.

3. CRT. The lowest of the low. Spend all their time in an office, and know absolutely NOTHING about anything to do with water. They just stare aimlessly out of their office windows wondering why the canal network continues to function. Members of group 1 look upon this group more with pity than anything else. Such a shame that anyone would sink as low as CRT....

So, as this site tends to be a gathering point for group 1's ( a few exceptions, of course) I really think you would be best served by sticking to the face to face stuffcool.png