70 foot winding holes

frahkn

Featured Posts

Don't you mean Sith Ifrican?

ninja.gif

MtB

Couldnt resist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZjwCmJrnlY

My 1st attempt a winding anywhere, after having passed a few spots that looked like they were winding holes, was in the entrance to Heyford Fields marina. My 2nd attempt was at the white bridge in Braunston & I only just made it.

My 3rd attempt was somewhere near Milton Keynes(ish), using a big modern road bridge to gauge the length, I failed miserably, realised I didnt have enough space, got the bow stuck, reversing made no difference, & eventually the stern drifted to the opposite bank. So I stepped off with a rope, & after much grunting & pulling on the rope with the missus reversing I eventually got free. It all must have atken about 30 or 40 mins.

All much to the amusement of some white van man sitting in the layby on a dual cariageway eating his sarnies.

I carried on in the same direction for a few more days before I managed to find somewhere where I dared to try & wind the boat again

• 2 months later...

It might be better to get involved with them rather than just giving them 'I'm bloody stuck again'. They really do seem to want to know how the track is effecting boats and boaters. So, they would like to know what's going on, when it is good as well as and when it is bad.

Richard

I think you are quite right Richard, once a problem is reported it is flagged on their system as a customer complaint, these are used to plan future works (along with surveys), if there not flagged up and logged, they wont get done.

1/2 way down the Wendover on the offside, the end of the Stourbridge extension, the entrance to Swan lane wharf and the London road corner at devizes are all too short /too silted to turn a 70 round by fore end in, the latter 3 can be done by sticking the stern in and swinging the bow round (yes I've done them all)

• 2 weeks later...

When you say the winding hole at the southern end of the tunnel, are you refering to the enterance to the old disused tunnel?

Yes, that's the hole which I meant - the start of the old enterance - by the little bit of iron fencing. It's marked on the map as a full length winding hole but I just could not get round.

Mind you, it is a 70' deep draughted boat and I don't have much experience with it yet - but I made several serious efforts!