CCer van insurance/registration

Charlotte Burnett

Featured Posts

So, I just spent a hideous amount of money on a new (to me) vehicle which will shortly be ready of collection. It is for business purposes and will be full of tools locked in a van vault and similar. I have an address of the sort that costs £150/year for general mail purposes. If I use this as my registration address for the V5 and insurance, will that be okay in law, provided I specify that it will be parked at night "on the road, away from home."

Thank you!

So, I just spent a hideous amount of money on a new (to me) vehicle which will shortly be ready of collection. It is for business purposes and will be full of tools locked in a van vault and similar. I have an address of the sort that costs £150/year for general mail purposes. If I use this as my registration address for the V5 and insurance, will that be okay in law, provided I specify that it will be parked at night "on the road, away from home."

Thank you!

Thank you!

:) Hi Charlotte, I am selfemployed and I too have my mail sent to a mailing address, which is not where I live on my boat. What I did was call my car insurers and explained this to them, as well as tell them that my car has a parking space next to my boat and the moorings have 24hr ctv cover and the moorings have a gate which is locked at night and a key is issued. The did charge me extra grrrr... but at least it gave me peace of mind as I need to use my car for my work. Hope that this helps :)

I have many vehicles registered at my home address as part of my boatmail.co.uk business. Also have a considerable number of driving licences registered as we'll

The DVLA is content with this as they require a place to contact the owner/keeper of the vehicle

I always advise customers to be open and honest with any insurance company. If you do have to make a claim, they will ask you to make a declaration and will check against any information they hold on you

Hi,

You must be open and honest with your insurer and advise the actual home location where the vehicle is based

In the event of a claim a simple Google may not be your friend as a PO box may be proof you do not reside or store your vehicle there

A simple shunt could bankrupt you if your insurers discover fraud (and thats what a false declaration is) and reject the claim

Insurers employ folk to invesigate claims and they know all the wrinkles

Good Luck

Ray

PS my insurance cost went down when I advised that my van was now located at my marina

Hi,

You must be open and honest with your insurer and advise the actual home location where the vehicle is based

In the event of a claim a simple Google may not be your friend as a PO box may be proof you do not reside or store your vehicle there

A simple shunt could bankrupt you if your insurers discover fraud (and thats what a false declaration is) and reject the claim

Insurers employ folk to invesigate claims and they know all the wrinkles

Good Luck

Ray

PS my insurance cost went down when I advised that my van was now located at my marina

Quite so, but if the vehicle does not have a base, what then?

This is a recurring theme on here. There was a huge long thread two or three years ago IIRC where a CCer was simply unable to get car insurance IIRC due to being honest with insurance companies and making sure they understood they did not having a static home address.

MtB

Hmmm ... slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but may be of use to some people .... I had no problems insuring two of my motorcycles .... one of which lives on the boat, the other at various friends as i move around ..... and I honestly advised the insurance company of this.

BUT that company would not cover my triumph, which is a heavily modified custom classic (wub.png ). I have been unable to get cover from custom bike insurers for her, because I don't live at the postal address I use, and the bike is kept at another address, some distance away but with greater security than Fort Knox. The only solution was to register my mate that looks after her as the "registered keeper", for him to insure her and put me on his insurance.

Hmmm ... slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but may be of use to some people .... I had no problems insuring two of my motorcycles .... one of which lives on the boat, the other at various friends as i move around ..... and I honestly advised the insurance company of this.

BUT that company would not cover my triumph, which is a heavily modified custom classic (wub.png ). I have been unable to get cover from custom bike insurers for her, because I don't live at the postal address I use, and the bike is kept at another address, some distance away but with greater security than Fort Knox. The only solution was to register my mate that looks after her as the "registered keeper", for him to insure her and put me on his insurance.

Do the insurance know you're the legal owner, main user of the bike and that it will be kept in various places through its life, not one fixed address etc?

Do the insurance know you're the legal owner, main user of the bike and that it will be kept in various places through its life, not one fixed address etc?

Yes, they know I am the legal owner. In the case of the Strumpet, as the Triumph is affectionately known wub.png , she IS kept in one place .... and my friend rides her more than me, to keep her up together and running sweet ..... I ride her occasionally when I'm up north and my dodgy hip allows me to .... hardtails rolleyes.gif

In the case of my other bikes, yes ... as I said, I informed the insurers that they move around with me and there was no problem, though the premium reflected that they were not kept in secure locked garage overnight