LEAK! (plumbing)

Featured Posts

It's already gone more tits up! The bilge pump runs when the shower is on ergo, the leak is on the feed pipework. The bath holds water when the gulper isn't used. Trap/waste is fine after all.

I think I'm going to hire an endoscope because access may well require angle grinder/mag drill through 3/4" plate. It could equally involve accessing the front bulkhead which is simply a matter of screwdrivers and crowbars, unless I have to pull off all the tiles, in which case, I suppose I can still use a screwdriver and crowbar.....

It's already gone more tits up! The bilge pump runs when the shower is on ergo, the leak is on the feed pipework. The bath holds water when the gulper isn't used. Trap/waste is fine after all.

Flippin' gurls.... hopeless!

I think I'm going to hire an endoscope because access may well require angle grinder/mag drill through 3/4" plate. It could equally involve accessing the front bulkhead which is simply a matter of screwdrivers and crowbars, unless I have to pull off all the tiles, in which case, I suppose I can still use a screwdriver and crowbar.....

3/4" plate???? How did THAT happen? Do you live on the Ark Royal really?!

MtB

I never used any traps in my sinks or shower - completely unnecessary and a waste of time on a boat. I don't get spiders or insects in my sinks or draughts coming up the plughole!

I think some people here just make up these anecdotes because they can't bring themselves to admit they forgot they were on a boat when they did the job. They'll be putting traps of their roof and door vents next! laugh.png

Unblocking a waste pipe without a trap is actually easier than a pipe with a trap because you can do it without any diassembly, and as for rotten food smells, Food waste can sit on top of water in a trap and I've smelled plenty of bad smells from sinks with traps, so on that score it really makes no difference. The only time a sink needs a trap is if it is connected to a mains waste pipe.

Edited by blackrose

I never used any traps in my sinks or shower - completely unnecessary and a waste of time on a boat. I don't get spiders or insects in my sinks or draughts coming up the plughole!

I think some people here just make up these anecdotes because they can't bring themselves to admit they forgot they were on a boat when they did the job. They'll be putting traps of their roof and door vents next! laugh.png

Unblocking a waste pipe without a trap is actually easier than a pipe with a trap because you can do it without any diassembly, and as for rotten food smells, Food waste can sit on top of water in a trap and I've smelled plenty of bad smells from sinks with traps, so on that score it really makes no difference. The only time a sink needs a trap is if it is connected to a mains waste pipe.

There are distinct instalation advantages to using traps. When re-fitting our boat I wanted to use the original hull openings but the replaced sinks did not line up correctly. I used swivel telescoplic traps which will accomodate a significant amount of variation in both vertical and horizontal alignment. So not " completely unnecessary and a waste of time" at all, but actualy quite useful.

Edited by David Schweizer