water pump dead ??

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello

ive spent most of my day tryingto rectify huge problems with my plumbing . Im in process of adjusting the pressures of my new expansion tank and have been connecting & disconnecting water pump to do this .

BUT. my waterpump has now completely packed up and i think the wires to it are no longer carrying current as i have fitted a 12 v fan that i know is working to the wires but nothing happens . All my lights and the fridge still work but just as im in the final stages of sorting my plumbing issues the pumps failed .

Does anyone have a suggestion how / why this has happened and the way forward ??

Any help is appreciated as this situation is not far off driving me bonkers

cheers

Hello

ive spent most of my day tryingto rectify huge problems with my plumbing . Im in process of adjusting the pressures of my new expansion tank and have been connecting & disconnecting water pump to do this .

BUT. my waterpump has now completely packed up and i think the wires to it are no longer carrying current as i have fitted a 12 v fan that i know is working to the wires but nothing happens . All my lights and the fridge still work but just as im in the final stages of sorting my plumbing issues the pumps failed .

Does anyone have a suggestion how / why this has happened and the way forward ??

Any help is appreciated as this situation is not far off driving me bonkers

cheers

Likely blown a fuse/breaker. Some people fit a switch somewhere so that they can shut the pump off at night, maybe you have inadverantly swithced it off?

cheers folks for the quick replies .

ive checked the fusebox and all is well . i ve checked the manual switch . it too is totally dead . All my other 12 v is fine but the feed to the pump is dead .

Just as i was winning with my calorifier & expansion tank issues !!!

im stumped for ideas . ive no cables i can run from perhaps the 12 v wires to the fridge to the pump to check if its still working .

cheers again

Electrics can be a daunting task to fault find on, but they are simple things. take a deep breath and start to think logical. there are after all only two wires to think about and both start at the battery. one positive and one negative.

two ways to approach it. use a multimeter to check voltages along the wire or use your multimeter to do a continuity check of the wires.

from what you say, by connecting a known working fan to the pump wires it would appear that its the supply thats the problem. but before you stare sit back and just have a think about what you have done and how things are connected.

Thanks again for your replies . My pump issues have been running concurrently on another thread of mine started yesterday about expansion tanks .

As i was about to finish my expansion tank work the pump appeared to just pack up .

Checking my fuse box and the boats big fat info file the waterpump was protected by one of ten fuses in a small cupboard . But these were all fine .

i ve since found another small panel with 3 toggle switches . Each toggle has a thumbscrew to its right hand side which when removed reveals a glass tube fuse and one

of the fuses is 15 amp and has blown . Im hoping this is the fuse for the waterpump . If it is then my info file is outdated as the waterpump fuse is nowhere near where the file says it is and ill have to update it all.

i cannot get hold of one of these fuses until tomorrow possibly from Halfords

and if so i can get the pump running again and finish off the original job of sorting out my expansion tank .

Thanks again for your help folks , cheers

Hey hey that's hopeful ,fingers crossed,,

It does sound hopeful. When chubby has sorted out the problem I would strongly suggest he labels (or keeps a note of ) all the fuses/circuits and carries spares fuses on board. I have been there and done that closedeyes.gif .

When the electrical circuits are confirmed to be OK, some pumps often require a clout with a rubber hammer to bring them back to life (especially the Shureflow) ........... My rubber hammer is stored next to the freshwater pump!

It does sound hopeful. When chubby has sorted out the problem I would strongly suggest he labels (or keeps a note of ) all the fuses/circuits and carries spares fuses on board. I have been there and done that :closedeyes: .

When the electrical circuits are confirmed to be OK, some pumps often require a clout with a rubber hammer to bring them back to life (especially the Shureflow) ........... My rubber hammer is stored next to the freshwater pump!

Good point,,Yes,I must admit,my 'Boat Notes' file needs updating in regards of all the additions that have been made over the years.

I've been lucky,I've never had to clout my pump back into life as yet..but there is always a first time.