Vetus Fuel Filter

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Morning all.

Vetus 4.17. Spin on fuel filter.

Should read "Stuck" on fuel filter.

Tried a filter wrench but it's just distorting the case.

Tried tightening first as well and tried jarring it........but still stuck.

Any ideas to loosen it please, before I ram a couple of screwdrivers in it and hope I don't tear the case right off?

P.S I'm assuming the're not left handed threads.

Thanks in advance.

Rob....

Morning all.

Vetus 4.17. Spin on fuel filter.

Should read "Stuck" on fuel filter.

Tried a filter wrench but it's just distorting the case.

Tried tightening first as well and tried jarring it........but still stuck.

Any ideas to loosen it please, before I ram a couple of screwdrivers in it and hope I don't tear the case right off?

P.S I'm assuming the're not left handed threads.

Thanks in advance.

Rob...

Others, with more finess, will probably be along soon but if woking on an engine of my own I would go the scerwdriver road too.

Just put a couple of 'value' disposable nappys in the bildge to catch the fallout.

For other peoples engines I do have various gubbins to suit a number of situations but think I wasted good money on them.

Same problem on my Vetus; the beggars get stuck for some reason. I use a trouser belt wound around a steel pipe with a tommy bar through it (bit like an old fashioned box spanner/spark plug wrench.) Best at bottom of filter. I use the same device for the other fuel and oil filter too. Never fails, but have to wear braces whilst doing the job.

Etide to add they are "normal" threads, not left handed.

Edited by Guest

Same problem on my Vetus; the beggars get stuck for some reason. I use a trouser belt wound around a steel pipe with a tommy bar through it (bit like an old fashioned box spanner/spark plug wrench.) Best at bottom of filter. I use the same device for the other fuel and oil filter too. Never fails, but have to wear braces whilst doing the job.

Now that's one I've not tryed. Where do you get the braces?

OP. Did you win in the end?

Edited by Taslim

What an idiot.
Been using the filter wrench wrongly.
I've been putting the rubber band of the wrench, round the filter, instead of round my trousers and using my belt on the filter.
Now I know...... it works a treat. clapping.gif
Thanks Cat.cheers.gif

Now that's one I've not tryed. Where do you get the braces?

OP. Did you win in the end?

Yeah! Won in the end thanks to Cat.
But did try at first to hold the filter and spin the boat round but the boat is 57 feet long and the cut was only 40 feet wide.
Couldn't use the winding hole as there were share boaters parked there. wacko.png

I know it sounds like a pee take, but I have found the old trouser belt to be the best filter undoer. My mechanic son has all the fancy ones which are great on modern cars where one needs the digital dexterity of a gynaecologist to work on them, but on the simple boat engine, I use the old belt. Most important of all to a Northener; it cost me nowt :)