motorcycle rack on N.B

the Yorkies

Featured Posts

It is but don't forget such a mod will add to the cost of the licence, not by much but it needs to be considered.

Explain that extra cost to me. Does that mean if you modify your boat in any way you have to pay extra for a licence? How does all of that work?

I've seen a few this year. One guy with a Moto Guzzi Breva on the front of a tug, may have had a turntable, and an F650 BMW twin on a front deck mounted transversely with the sort of rail you get on breakdown trailers for carry bikes with an extension that could be attached to either end for unloading. In both cases ratchet straps secured to deck fittings held the bike in place. Happybunny's solution of cutting/reinforcing hull by the well deck to house a 100cc traily (KE100?) is the most practical solution I have seen but generated a fair amount of debate about hull integrity. I have seen many boats adapted/built for wheelchairs so totally possible.

My remark here isn't of any interest to the bike on boat subject, but as far as I know the "BMW-F650" isn't a twin but a mono cylinder.

Peter.

Explain that extra cost to me. Does that mean if you modify your boat in any way you have to pay extra for a licence? How does all of that work?

Licence cost and in some (most) cases mooring cost too is based on the length of your boat. So if you lengthen the boat and take it into another length category you pay more.

Licence costs linky

Edited by The Dog House

I had one engineered and fitted a month ago, it carries my Suzuki 125. There are logistical problems:

1/ There are limited places where you can remove the bike from the towpath.

2/ The towpath has to be reasonably wide and the bank at a suitable height above the water

And you should maybe consider locks. I have a slight overhang on one side. I could cure this by taking off the carrier rack and removing the rear light lens. But I've no intention of going through any locks in the foreseeable future.

I'd suggest that you want a cruiser deck for a motorbike. Ideally, one with a completely square back. A traditional has a narrower back which could result in the bike or carrier crashing into something solid, should a quick sharp turn be made.

Overall though, I'm delighted with it. It gives me the freedom to do a bit of work or go shopping, as long as I plan my stops so I'm near an offloading point. I've cruised 20 miles of canal, there are 5 suitable places, possibly one or two more, but they involve very steep cobbled roads up to the main road.

I'm in Cheshire, you're more than welcome to come and have a look. I could also put you in touch with the guy who made it for me.

My remark here isn't of any interest to the bike on boat subject, but as far as I know the "BMW-F650" isn't a twin but a mono cylinder.

Peter.

The original F650 was as you say a 650 single powered by a Rotax engine.There is also an F650 launched around 2008 which

is an 800cc parallel twin, a detuned road oriented version of the F800GS. Why BMW chose a name as confusing as F650 to describe the twin is anyone's guess.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides-tests/2009/August/aug1409-full-review-bmw-f650gs/

I wouldn't touch a new BMW with a very long barge pole, the amazing build quality you used to get on R-Series and Ks simply doesn't exist anymore. I've heard enough horror stories of wheel bearings collapsing on low model bikes and other issues with build quality to put me off what was my favourite marque of bike.

The original F650 was as you say a 650 single powered by a Rotax engine.There is also an F650 launched around 2008 which

is an 800cc parallel twin, a detuned road oriented version of the F800GS. Why BMW chose a name as confusing as F650 to describe the twin is anyone's guess.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides-tests/2009/August/aug1409-full-review-bmw-f650gs/

I wouldn't touch a new BMW with a very long barge pole, the amazing build quality you used to get on R-Series and Ks simply doesn't exist anymore. I've heard enough horror stories of wheel bearings collapsing on low model bikes and other issues with build quality to put me off what was my favourite marque of bike.

Thank you very much for the update on the BMW bikes, I use to be a BMW bike fan, had an R27, and R1150RT, K100 which vibrated too much and was replaced by my last BMW a marvelous K75RT the nicest of them all.

After 3 very near what could have been serious accidents in 1 week, I thought that it was time to give up, and sold my K75RT with pain in my heart, and no more BMW or any other bike for me anymore, I still have fond memories of a good 40 years of riding my bikes.

Peter.

Licence cost and in some (most) cases mooring cost too is based on the length of your boat. So if you lengthen the boat and take it into another length category you pay more.

Licence costs linky

Ohhhhh...I thought you meant because the back of the boat was altered to fit a bike, not that it added length. Although, with a long enough front or back you wouldn't need to hang anything off the back.

Licence costs linky

Mooring cost yes, sometimes they're measured. Licence fee: only if you tell CRT. You're supposed to pay for total length including any fenders, generator boxes, whatever. But how many people are going to telephone CRT when they have a bigger fender fitted and ask for a bill? Not many. CRT have a stated length, leave it at that, everyone seems happy. Common sense in my book.

It's the length that's the issue, here's a 250 scooter on the back of mine a few years ago.

I've got a Vespa now, which also fits on the back or on the front.

You can fit a bigger bike on, but might have to open both lock gates to avoid losing number plates and mudguards!

I've seen an tug style NB with a ducati sports bike on the front deck, but you have to consider getting it on and off.

026_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

So if I have my boat stretched (The boat cut in half and a section added) I don't tel Cart and pretend each year its still 57 foot long

Up to you.

In my case it makes no difference anyway. My original length is just within a higher 'band'. The motorbike rack and extended fender is still within that band.

Hmmm ... where there's a will, there's a way ......

I spent much time considering how to deal with this issue ..... considered turntables, hi-abs etc etc etc .... even got hold of an old hospital bed (they take a fair weight, go up and down and turn) ..... looked at fat bottomed cruiser sterns .....

but in the end found a boat with a big front deck in my price range .... and a willing man, a boat builder no less, with a grinder ..... and accepted that i would need to downsize a bit

and, despite the prophets of doom predicting a replay of the Zeebrugge disaster ,,,,, I am now living happily ever after with my little ke100 on board and my big girls bikes littered around the country for when I need to go really really fast or show off on my Strumpet (T140 chop) .... I might get something a little bigger now my wrists are a bit better ... but the KE is sweet ... and always draws a crowd of admirers as they were many peoples first bike

So the sides lift out, the bike wheels off, sometimes need a short plank, she is light enough to push along the towpath to a bridge (because you must NEVER EVER ride on the towpath) ... and I was amazed at just how much fun a girl can have on such a teeny weeny motorsickle, never having ridden anything so small before .... have had a bag of coal on the back and given my more lightweight friends a "backy" ..... and OF COURSE you MUST drain the fuel out of the tank and store it PROPERLY .... I keep her well lashed down on deck .... because I am like that biggrin.png

it required the re-routing of my gas line .... but have just got my BSC renewed, so no probs there, notified my insurers .... AND it has the added bonus of making it much easier for me to get my stall set up when I am trading from the boat .... no more climbing over the sides with boxes of stuff .... happy days

best of luck... and let us know how you get on cheers.gif

macclesfied023_zpsc3186d63.jpg

cheers happy bunny much appreciated ...... lovin the safety notes as it could have been a long thread without pointing out the safety side of bikes onboard in a month or two my search starts and the big front deck is top priority for my needs ,,because as well a CC the system i still want to attend the m/bike rallies,in the season.

have sent you a message re the photo

ride safe and keep the shiny side up and in our case "out of the water"biggrin.png

Hmmm ... where there's a will, there's a way ......

I spent much time considering how to deal with this issue ..... considered turntables, hi-abs etc etc etc .... even got hold of an old hospital bed (they take a fair weight, go up and down and turn) ..... looked at fat bottomed cruiser sterns .....

but in the end found a boat with a big front deck in my price range .... and a willing man, a boat builder no less, with a grinder ..... and accepted that i would need to downsize a bit

and, despite the prophets of doom predicting a replay of the Zeebrugge disaster ,,,,, I am now living happily ever after with my little ke100 on board and my big girls bikes littered around the country for when I need to go really really fast or show off on my Strumpet (T140 chop) .... I might get something a little bigger now my wrists are a bit better ... but the KE is sweet ... and always draws a crowd of admirers as they were many peoples first bike

So the sides lift out, the bike wheels off, sometimes need a short plank, she is light enough to push along the towpath to a bridge (because you must NEVER EVER ride on the towpath) ... and I was amazed at just how much fun a girl can have on such a teeny weeny motorsickle, never having ridden anything so small before .... have had a bag of coal on the back and given my more lightweight friends a "backy" ..... and OF COURSE you MUST drain the fuel out of the tank and store it PROPERLY .... I keep her well lashed down on deck .... because I am like that biggrin.png

it required the re-routing of my gas line .... but have just got my BSC renewed, so no probs there, notified my insurers .... AND it has the added bonus of making it much easier for me to get my stall set up when I am trading from the boat .... no more climbing over the sides with boxes of stuff .... happy days

best of luck... and let us know how you get on cheers.gif

macclesfied023_zpsc3186d63.jpg

Nice!

My 125 is on a rack behind my cruiser deck, works well for me.

I'm interested in why you think you should drain the petrol from the tank and store it elsewhere in the boat. Why is this? I would have thought a purpose built receptacle (the bike's petrol tank) would be a safer option than a can/ other container somewhere?

Cheers

Hmmm I don't think you need to drain the petrol ... and I don't .... but when I originally posted my pictures on here some harbingers of doom suggested I needed to to that to be a legal decent honest human bean so I thought I would share their helpful advice cheers.gif

Hmmm I don't think you need to drain the petrol ... and I don't .... but when I originally posted my pictures on here some harbingers of doom suggested I needed to to that to be a legal decent honest human bean so I thought I would share their helpful advice cheers.gif

I think they were having a laugh! If you think it through: A motorbike, legally able to travel at 70mph with its cargo of petrol. Risk assessment: another boat might hit the bike. Its speed? 4mph

Versus:

Draining petrol into a different tank. There could be a spark, a passer by could flick a cigarette. And where to store the petrol?

I think they were having a laugh! If you think it through: A motorbike, legally able to travel at 70mph with its cargo of petrol. Risk assessment: another boat might hit the bike. Its speed? 4mph

Versus:

Draining petrol into a different tank. There could be a spark, a passer by could flick a cigarette. And where to store the petrol?

motorcyclist_zps769cb060.jpg

cheers.gif

• 6 months later...

Thank you very much for the update on the BMW bikes, I use to be a BMW bike fan, had an R27, and R1150RT, K100 which vibrated too much and was replaced by my last BMW a marvelous K75RT the nicest of them all.

After 3 very near what could have been serious accidents in 1 week, I thought that it was time to give up, and sold my K75RT with pain in my heart, and no more BMW or any other bike for me anymore, I still have fond memories of a good 40 years of riding my bikes.

Peter.

I had a beautiful gold R90S.

Great bike, good quality.

Sold to buy SWMBO (Mk1) a washing machine.

I replaced with SWMBO (Mk2) which is a much better model. Just now need to find a nice R90S!

This boat was built with detachable gunwales for a bike. You can read about the design here :http://www.railwaybraking.com/belle/introtext.htm

Edited by jelunga