Hurth HBW50 - what's in the box?

RLWP

Featured Posts

It's been nice to work on a gearbox you can pick up with one hand!

This is an HBW50 mechanical box, in fact most Hurth mechanical boxes work in the same way. This is only a brief description I'm afraid.

The whole mechanism looks like this:

7.jpg

To be confusing, it's upside down... Input shaft is at the bottom, with the driveplate splines on the left. The left hand gear is for forward, the right hand one is for reverse. The output shaft is at the top with the drive flange on the right. In the middle is the selector, either side of that are the forward and reverse clutches.

The clutches consist of a stack of sintered and pressed plates:

1.jpg

3.jpg

The sintered plates are splined onto the hub of the gear, the pressed plates have three ears.

Probably.

Apologies for the break in transmission - Fishychips arrived

Anyway. The ears on the pressed plates connect with this plate.

4.jpg

Pushing this plate outwards is what engages the clutch. This plate has three sloped grooves in in, in which live three balls:

5.jpg

There are matching grooves in the central block, and it is these balls that lock the box in gear. The slipping rotation of the clutch forces these balls up the groove, pushing the plate out and locking up the clutch - very neat. This bit of positive feedback is how most Hurth boxes hold the clutches in gear.

Here you can see the extra idler gear to give reverse:

6.jpg

And finally, the whole lot again:

7.jpg

Looking at the slider, this box is currently locked in reverse

Bigger boxes have more plates, and are therefore longer, and have larger gears to take the extra force

A bit short, this description

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 3 months later...

I have this gearbox.

Just replied to another thread. I think I may have a destroyed or getting there drive plate.

U may have read what I put and Albions responses. It's on a BMC 1.8.

How much am I looking at for a new plate?

Trouble is if I took it apart I wouldn't know what too look for if anything else was knackered.

I'm a bit concerned right now. Don't who else to get involved or too help down here.