Insurance for Older Boats

DandGNWales

Featured Posts

Interesting comment from David about Saga, (who we do in fact have our newer boat insured with - a mere 18 years old in that case).

When I actually rang them up about some of the statements I have head about them insuring older boats, they were a bit "wobbly" on the whole topic. Can't remember full detail now, but their answers were less than straightforward.

I'm not doubting they are properly covering David's 31 year old boat, but I don't think it necessarily the case if you present them with a boat not currently insured with them that may be older, and where perhaps neither the build date nor the builder can be verified with total certainty.

Of course if you are under 50 you can ignore all that!

SAGA tried an interesting thing on me when I phoned to pay for my renewal this week. With no previous mention of a survey, the lady said they couldn't insure me as I hadn't sent one in!frusty.gif I challenged this, telling her that no insurance would invalidate my licence etc, and she hesitated, said she needed to talk to her manager, and would call back.

The result was the underwriters saying they had to have a survey by next renewal, or no insurance. The boat was blacked in the summer - could have been done then!mad.gif

When I asked her for the reason, she said because it is a Springer. 1989 so only 24 years old.....

I have always found Saga to be devious in several ways. For example I noticed that their contents insurance covered breakages to anything apart from breakables. When I queried this they said that if anything broke it was automatically classified as a breakable and was therefore not covered for breakage. On that basis I did not feel confident about them and remained with Towergate Marden who have confirmed they need a survey when the boat is 25 years old.

Edited by Keeping Up

full comp 40 yr old GRP cruiser no survey as long as BSC self certification accepted GJW Direct

85 year old Humber Barge (sea going) survey reqd every 5 years same company

must investigate SAGA though as that sounds very cheap