Mastervolt Whisper 3500 Genset

notaminga

Featured Posts

We have just acquired a new boat which has a Mastervolt gen fitted. I'm having trouble getting it to start. Sometimes it will start, but usually it won't. I've checked all the usual, fuel, power etc. The control panel comes on as it should and the engine turns over, but won't fire. I suspected the fuel solenoid but this works fine. However, sometimes there is power to it and sometimes not. The wiring checks out ok so I'm wondering if anything would cause the control unit to not switch on the solenoid at times.

Once running it will run fine for hours.

I'm baffled

We have just acquired a new boat which has a Mastervolt gen fitted. I'm having trouble getting it to start. Sometimes it will start, but usually it won't. I've checked all the usual, fuel, power etc. The control panel comes on as it should and the engine turns over, but won't fire. I suspected the fuel solenoid but this works fine. However, sometimes there is power to it and sometimes not. The wiring checks out ok so I'm wondering if anything would cause the control unit to not switch on the solenoid at times.

Once running it will run fine for hours.

I'm baffled

Hello,

I have installed and serviced many Mastervolt generators of this type

with experience if they are difficult to start it is normally loss of compression.

Which may be because of water entering the cylinder head

Keith

Edited by Keith M

With my Mastervolt Whisper 6000 you held both stop and start buttons in to actuate the heater plug relay for 10-20 seconds then just released the stop button to operate starter. Not sure if yours has this operational feature but worth a try if you are not using such a method.

Unfortuneately the Mastervolt 3.5 generator does not have a heater plug

The manual here, which may be of use to the OP does show a heater plug although with apparently an automated start sequence. Mastervolt have used a range of engines over the years for the same model generators which may give rise to your comment.

Mine for example had a Lombardini engine replaced later by Mitsubishi one.

Hi ya,what's the out come !.

I fitted exactly the same unit 5yrs ago,it gets fair use,but when symptoms such as you describe happened to mine,it turned out to be an electrical problem,under the main onboard control pannal.loose wire,cut out.

Hope you get it sorted anyway.

Cheers