Gas indicator/full empty thingy?

claymore

Featured Posts

:lol:

Erm, re-fitting my boat and about to connect up the gas lines to my boiler and cooker, I wondered if there is an inline indicator as to how much gas is left in the bottle, my gas line goes across a panel and up to the boiler and would be an ideal place for one - or is it, as it's quite a way from the bottle or doesn't it matter? - so anyone know of something you can put in-line (micro-bore pipe) that will indicate full or empty, or anyone know what you would call one of these to do a search on the net?

Cheerrrrrs!

The only thing I have seen is a stick on gauge that sticks to the outside of the gas bottle, but unfortunately as you can imagine it is so low down on the gas bottle you can't read it.

We have an automatic change over connection to the gas bottles on which an arrow shape in a little window turns red when a couple of the bottles are empty, then all we do is turn the knob to point at the full ones and replace the empties.

It can't be done. The regulator maintains the pressure for as long as the pressure in the bottle is higher that the regulated pressure. The bottle pressure is not related to the quantity of gas but to it's boiling point at a certain temperature, it will maintain the pressure until the last drop is used then it will drop immediately. There is only one reliable way to tell how much gas is left in a bottle, weigh it, and that is not as simple as it sounds.

You can get automatic change-over valves but I don't like those either, I prefer to know when the bottle is empty so I can replace it.

Bernie.

The original inquiry was, "I wondered if there is an in line indicator as to how much gas is left in the bottle", not when it is empty. You need to remember to look at the indicator from time to time, people do sometimes find themselves with two empties.

You can't even rely on the level of liquid in the bottle, if someone has marketed such a thing. They get a gradual build up of water in them.

Bernie.

The original inquiry was, "I wondered if there is an in line indicator as to how much gas is left in the bottle", not when it is empty.  You need to remember to look at the indicator from time to time, people do sometimes  find themselves with two empties.

You can't even rely on the level of liquid in the bottle, if someone has marketed such a thing.  They get a gradual build up of water in them.

John

There is an in line indicator and also doubles for a leak test via pressure drop.

Will look out the details and add to a later post.

But again Colin it can only tell you that the bottle is empty, you will probably know that anyway.

GasLow

Its a regulator (also available in 'changeover' version) with a pressure gauge so has to be fitted on the high pressure side - usually close to or on top of the bottle (BSS). I believe that most caravan dealers stock them.

In theory, so long as the surface area of the liquid gas remains constant the pressure only varies with the temperature. As long as you are using gas at a fair rate (not just a pilot light) the temperature of the gas drops as it expands. So to get an idea of how full the bottle is you have to make sure you have e.g. the boiler running or the oven going full blast) then go & look at the gauge in the gas locker; choose the red, yellow or green scale according to the ambient temperature.

As mentioned by Big Col it is useful as a leak indicator. When I connect a new bottle I turn the gas on for a few seconds then off again. Wait for 20 seconds then turn the gas on watching for any needle movement. It will detect a leak anywhere in the system including the connection to the bottle.

Alan

John

Alan has beaten me to it. Have a look at the link and see what you think. I can only think that they work on pressure differential,with the gauge calibrated for the small changes in pressure. I have one on my boat and have to say they seem to work, the most useful part is the leak test as it test the whole installation from the bottle, and they are not that expensive.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/

We have an automatic change over connection to the gas bottles on which an arrow shape in a little window turns red when a couple of the bottles are empty, then all we do is turn the knob to point at the full ones and replace the empties.

Yeah we have one of those at home, but they only go red when the bottels completly empty, which is ok at home because where using two 47kg bottels (and we only use it for cooking), so as long as we check about one a month, its ok. and anyway, chaz harden's in only just up the road, so if it does happen, we can get a new bottel (its only even happened once in 17 years of beeing here)

- but on the boat we just have a "T" and only open on bottel at a time, becuase somtimes it would be a great nusence to ever run out, becuase we dont have a microwave on the boats, and as we use gas for hotwater somtimes, and ther only 13kg bottles, they dont last very long somtimes.

We too have a Gaslow, fitted between the bottle and the regulator.

Being ten years old it doesn't look as fancy as the on in their current brochure but it has served us well.

Obviously, with the bottle turned on, then off, will display the pressure in the line to the regulator and if (assuming all appliances are off) then double as a leak detector.

Edited by rog guiver