PV roof mounting - fixing options

The Lame Goat

Featured Posts

These are the magnets I mentioned earlier. they are so strong I can't pull one off the boat roof directly, I need to slide or get leverage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Super-Strong-Taxi-Sign-Magnet-For-taxi-signs-for-hire-signs-top-signs-/181094406140?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item2a2a1157fc

The pair I have were even cheaper than this a year ago and the metal plate and thread are S/S, I don't know how the gut does them so cheap.

Looks good - can you detail what you have here?

Thanks, M

Taxi sign magnets (link) with some home-made stainless steel brackets as you can see.

The other side magnets are bolted directly to the panel, giving a few degrees of slope towards the south when on my usual mooring. Panels are self cleaning when mounted at an angle from horizontal.

m@

All this is great for fixing the panels down but what about the cable you need to get into the hull, what's the best way to do this? Do you just use a bulkhead flange or bulkhead connector?

We used one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROOF-CABLE-ENTRY-GLAND-TWIN-SOLAR-SATELLITE-AERIAL-/330953712305?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4d0e60e2b1

Drilled 4 x 5mm fixing holes, self tapped thread into roof, 5mm S/S screws. Ours came with a nice thick rubber seal that nipped down nicely and water tight.

Very neat job, you can't beat good over engineering.

Out of interest how much was each bracket in stainless steel and labour cost. If someone could knock those up at a reasonable cost they would sell to boaters for sure.

I seem to recall they were £8 each finished, (and made to my dimensions)

Wow. Very nice and thanks for the photo. I may well go with this approach (still considering various options).

What size are your panels?

Did you slide the panel into the backets after fixing? - wondering how feasible with a large panel (say 2m x 1m)

Thanks for offer of drawings - will be in touch if I decide to take this approach. I'm glad to hear of your success with Rivnuts. The other thread contains a scarey cautionary post about this, so as I'm not experienced wonder if you already had expertise, had any problems etc?

What roof thickness - any problem sourcing rivnuts with large enough grip range?

For over mushroom solution I'm also considering building a top box with panel as lid so not sure yet if I'll use brackets & rivnuts.

Mark

Hi Mark,

My panels are 2m x 1m (240w each) and I fixed some brackets first, then slid the panels in temporarily, marked the locations of the remaining brackets, removed the panels, drilled and Rivnutted (new word!) , then slid the panels in and bolted in the final brackets.

Our roof thickness is only 4mm (not unusual with our steel boats) - I used M8 bolts with S/S Rivnuts (which required, I think, an 11.5mm hole!)

Just thought I would update on the securing method for our 500w array, I mentioned back along the rubber straps.

I've now fitted all 4 S/S eye plates, each one taped into the roof with 4 x M4 S/S hex head screws, I made we rubber gaskets for each one from 3mm thick nitrile rubber, it pinched down really nicely so an excellent seal, so I have no worries about any future seepage. The eye plates on the array are again fitted with S/S wood screws to frame.

Solarsuspension_zps16454e34.jpg

The rubber Tarp straps are really strong and not too stretchy, S hooks are also S/S. We cruised today with the panel set flat, no visibility problems at all and the panel stayed well in place, even had a bit of heavy wind here and there which was no problem.

DSCF2537_zps22d2f82e.jpg