Interzone 954

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I am about to have the hull of my newly acquired 'Norseman' hydroblasted. The guys doing the work will then immediately coat her and have suggested putting Interzone 954 on as this is what they routinely use.

Does anyone have any experience of this product? Or any helpful tips, I am assuming that this should give me about 5 years before I need to re-black?

Thanks

Simone

The write ups on this stuff are incredible. Is anything, I would say that to apply this stuff for normal canal use is a bit of an overkill. They use this stuff in the North Sea with sea water.

If you don't mind me asking, did you prove this stuff against a normal blacking application?

I don't know Interzone, but if it similar to Jotun Jotamastic, then go for it, you will have no proplem with it for 10 years or so except for where you scrape it off in the locks, even the ice will not touch the Jotamastic in the water line, the paint stay on, good value for the money, the steel is not cheep to replace so protect it as much as you can, as locg as you can.

Jan

The write ups on this stuff are incredible. Is anything, I would say that to apply this stuff for normal canal use is a bit of an overkill. They use this stuff in the North Sea with sea water.

If you don't mind me asking, did you prove this stuff against a normal blacking application?

Apparently they have just used it on Ryde Pier, the reason for using it has mainly come about because it is what the company doing the hydro-blasting use as standard, and have to hand. The boat is also currently moored on a brackish tidal river, so in this respect the added protection may be necessary?

I have being doing a lot of reading about paint lately!!! most of which I don't understand, so its re-assuring that others think its good paint, I am just a little anxious cos you read quite a lot about supposedly 'good' paint peeling off much sooner than it should.

The answer to your question re proving it against a normal blacking application is probably, NO, hence bringing it to the forum, as she is being hydro-blasted I had decided to go with a 2pk epoxy, but then the hydro-blasting company suggested Interzone...

Simone

I don't know Interzone, but if it similar to Jotun Jotamastic, then go for it, you will have no proplem with it for 10 years or so except for where you scrape it off in the locks, even the ice will not touch the Jotamastic in the water line, the paint stay on, good value for the money, the steel is not cheep to replace so protect it as much as you can, as locg as you can.

Jan

Thanks Jan, I don't know if its like Jotamastic. but thats sort of where i am coming from, I want peace of mind and a protected hull that I wont have to worry about blacking for at least 5 years, it is good value for money if it works!!!

Simone

We've had it on the boat since new - it was worth it!

Hi Paul,

Great news!

If you don't mind me asking, how long has it been on and have you had to have it re-coated?

Simone

Hi Paul,

Great news!

If you don't mind me asking, how long has it been on and have you had to have it re-coated?

Simone

We bought the boat a year ago but we understand it was done from new in Interzone 954. The surveyor found very little corrosion etc, and had a tough job going through the coating to get to metal to do the checks he needed.

The answer to your question re proving it against a normal blacking application is probably, NO, hence bringing it to the forum, as she is being hydro-blasted I had decided to go with a 2pk epoxy, but then the hydro-blasting company suggested Interzone...

Simone

I thought Interzone was an epoxy??

We bought the boat a year ago but we understand it was done from new in Interzone 954. The surveyor found very little corrosion etc, and had a tough job going through the coating to get to metal to do the checks he needed.

All sounds re-assuring. How old is the boat?

What colour will you choose wink.png

Tim

LOL - is there a choice?

On second thoughts, not even going there - far too much agonising going on about what to paint above the waterline!!!

p.s

OMG - Couldn't resist checking and it is available in pretty much any colour - think I'm going to pretend I don't know this!help.gif

Edited by simonebb

Have to ask for future reference. What is the cost of this paint? Is it done by the foot or by the can or do they just give you a price they feel works? Sounds like something everyone should look into if it lasts that long. Nice to know for the future. Is there a website for the company or anything?

Found the website, never mind.

Edited by Gingerbeer

Have to ask for future reference. What is the cost of this paint? Is it done by the foot or by the can or do they just give you a price they feel works? Sounds like something everyone should look into if it lasts that long.

This company gave me a price for the job ie inclusive of the paint, the paint is pretty expensive around £195 for 5lt retail, i suspect they get a much better deal based on bulk

Are you going with black or some other color?

Think I'm going to be conventional here and go with black, would quite like the top to be a little less conventional though and am currently trying to source two-tone metallic marine paint (I am sure some will be horrified at this suggestion but they can probably rest assured that I will never find such a thing)biggrin.png

The survey guy need to buy new equipment, no need to take the paint off to mesure with ultra sound equipment any more.

If the blasting/painting company use interzone go for that, or if they use Jotun's go for that, (a good bompany should know what they are doing)

The jotun Jotamastic is a 2 coat system, I hade ones a peel of area maybe 0,5X0,2 meter between the layer, but bever between paint and steel, I am not sure what year it was put on, but I guess it is 10 year now, we have to dry dock every 2-3 year, (2 times in 5 year) beeing a comercial ship, (sorry boat, <4 meter B)

Dalslandia stays in the ice every winter, with maybe 50-70 cm of ice and it don't touch the paint.

If the blasting/painting company use interzone go for that, or if they use Jotun's go for that, (a good bompany should know what they are doing)

Dalslandia stays in the ice every winter, with maybe 50-70 cm of ice and it don't touch the paint.

Thanks Daslandia, am feeling increasingly confident about using Interzone, just hadn't heard of it before, but having read all the positive remarks on here am now convinced its the way to go!

p.s looked up your boat, very lovely she is too biggrin.png