Boat security alarm query

Graham Bowers

Featured Posts

I'm thinking of fitting a security alarm to my cruiser following a break in. Cooker and gas cylinders stolen and door damage but could have been worse. Access was from the canal as far as I can tell, and "next door" was done as well.

Anybody have any experience of alarm systems in terms of features and perceived effectiveness?

A major consideration is it must not false alarm.

Other than that, the available features seem to range from:

Door switch sounds a siren and strobe, to:

Ones that send you a text message, can be commanded by receiving text messages, let you hear sound on the boat, tell you its actual position and loads of other stuff.

I can see that since the subject is security there may be a disincentive to post on open forum - IM's also appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

How much money have you got? The ones advertised in Towpath Talk are a joke - I sent mine back very quickly indeed. Boatwarden however, seems an excellent system but then, it ought to be at those prices! http://www.boatwarden.com/shop.html Everything else seems to get more expensive.

I'll take your question as being rhetorical ;-)) I guess its important to know what to avoid. I've seen boatwarden and they are a bit eye wateringly expensive.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Graham

Try this link. I got mine from them. Am very impressed with it.

It's never falsed on me exept when a battery in one of the wireles sensors went, I didnt notice the amber light.

http://www.gsm-secure.co.uk/MR700---Marine-GSM-Tracker.php

Thanks, can't beat a recommendation.

Graham

I suppose the question is, are there any security systems out there that will make your insurer happier? £800 is very quickly used up - think laptop (various £, from £ to £££ for a Mac),and all that's light and easy to shift - what insurance co's call 'V & A' goods (valuable and attractive).

Like houses, the harder ones to break into are the least tasty to the opportunistic thief. Bolstering access protection should be your first spending.

Small flashing LEDs close to access points. The prospective thief will believe an alarm to be fitted and move on. Window sticker to say "You are on camera, see you in court". The thief has no need to take the risk even if they doubt the existence of a real system. Dummy cameras are also available. You don't need to catch a thief, just scare them off.