share /help with wigan flight 20th August

jonathanA

Featured Posts

hi All,

Looks like me and SWMBO will be going down the wigan flight around tuesday next week

Ideally it would be good to share the locks with another boat or of course if anyone feels like a bit of lock wheeling we'd be delighted to get some help...

the usual rewards are on offer - Tea and biscuits (chocolate if SWMBO likes you )

we'll also be heading back up about a week later and coming up always seems harder....

We'd help you but we're only going as far as Barrowford next week, if Barrowford Locks are repaired

I'd have thought there'll be several boats coming your way Jonathan, I know of a couple that are up there waiting, Have a good trip (you could always come to Yorkshire for a week)

Dave

Edited by Titus

If only it wasn't mid-week we'd love to help!

Let us know when you're returning and we'll see what we can do...have our own windlasses...just need supplying with plentiful cups of tea...

We've done the Wigan flight on several occasions...the first was an absolute bitch of a day, best forgotten, but our last trip up was absolutely superb. We just dawdled and took our time...the weather was lovely, the people were lovely and the showers at the top and the Guinness and steak in the pub were equally lovely!

Titus...we're heading over to Salterforth at the weekend to view our potential new boat purchase (eeeeek!) Would be good to say hello if you're around....

Last time we saw you was only a fleeting visit!

7278307012_31a5c2fd31.jpg

Janet

Edited by Janet S

We set off west on Friday afternoon and out for 10 days so we'll see where we end up but don't think we'll reach Salterforth (well the Anchor) until Monday ish

and definitely won't reach Wigan this time out

Dave

I once booked an 'Assisted Passage' in the late 1990s from BW as it was then.

Superb, two lock keepers at the bottom lock at 8am. They took us half way then another two took over. They operated the paddles on the lock I was in whilst my wife went up and set the next lock and gate etc.

We arrived at the top at 10.30!!!

I was in the Norman 20 with a 20hp Mariner fitted and they could open all four paddles at the top from the start whilst I help the boat using the engine only (no ropes) at the bottom of each lock (nose in to the wall, stern out about half way, much steering and bursts of power).

It was a superb service but I don't think they do it now, we were on our own last time we came down. There is a cracking butty shop somewhere near the railway bridges but the boat we shared with knew it and went for the butties so I don't know where it is, sorry!!

It's a good trip and I have always enjoyed that area.

I'd 'bob' down to help but I will be at work unfortunately.

Have fun.

We set off west on Friday afternoon and out for 10 days so we'll see where we end up but don't think we'll reach Salterforth (well the Anchor) until Monday ish

and definitely won't reach Wigan this time out

Dave

We'll be heading your way later in the year i think, but this time we thought we'd 'go west' and see where we get to. hopefully barrowford locks will be open by the time you get there.

Jonathan

If only it wasn't mid-week we'd love to help!

Let us know when you're returning and we'll see what we can do...have our own windlasses...just need supplying with plentiful cups of tea...

We've done the Wigan flight on several occasions...the first was an absolute bitch of a day, best forgotten, but our last trip up was absolutely superb. We just dawdled and took our time...the weather was lovely, the people were lovely and the showers at the top and the Guinness and steak in the pub were equally lovely!

Titus...we're heading over to Salterforth at the weekend to view our potential new boat purchase (eeeeek!) Would be good to say hello if you're around....

Thanks Janet and good luck with the boat viewing. There are a couple for sale at Reedley no idea what your looking for but might be worth popping in/ringing to see if they are of interest if the one at salterforth doesn't work out.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to Barrowford locks being reopened wigan was fairly busy on tuesday and we shared the wigan flight with a boat that had been held up at Barrowford. (thanks Roger and Lil) we even did the two locks at Poolstock making 23 locks in a day...

We saw only two CRT bods at the Wigan top lock and despite a lot of boat movements their priority job..... picking litter

shame they couldn't keep and eye on things as we twice had to run water from upstream locks to fill empty pounds.

Not looking forward to the return trip next week so if anyone is around next wednesday or thursday....