An opportunity to visit a canal

louca Inglese

Featured Posts

There's not a lot of canal to choose from up there. Your best bet is the Ripon canal which links the town to the river Ure. There is a marina beside the canal. Aother option could br the Pocklingtion canal. It has a picnic/visitor centre on the closed section off the A1079 south east of the town or the navigable section at Melbourne.

Most of the navigation in the area is on the river Ure/Ouse through York and Boroughbridge. Generally the rivers are remote and the roads and villages stay far away. The rivers have lock-cuts and there is a long lock cut at Boroughbridge.

There's not a lot of canal to choose from up there. Your best bet is the Ripon canal which links the town to the river Ure. There is a marina beside the canal. Aother option could br the Pocklingtion canal. It has a picnic/visitor centre on the closed section off the A1079 south east of the town or the navigable section at Melbourne.

Most of the navigation in the area is on the river Ure/Ouse through York and Boroughbridge. Generally the rivers are remote and the roads and villages stay far away. The rivers have lock-cuts and there is a long lock cut at Boroughbridge.

Damn I could have sworn there was a canal somewhere (gads it could even be in I better check where my boat is moored) near Selby. A lovely little canal if I remember rightly and not too many weeds unlike the Pocklington. Good grief it's not even too far from Easingwold. No marinas as such though. Just a boatyard and a lock basin onto the Ouse. Goodness it looks like we even have roads and villages even a major city or two and towns.

Pete

P

Hi all

During September i will be visiting a friend in Easingwold north Yorkshire and wondered where the nearest canal is from York.

Even better, if i could visit a marina somewhere in this area to have a butchers at a few boats.....any ideas?

As mentioned Selby has a canal and of course the Ouse. Not far south of York. The bonus being it is one of the prettiest on the system.

York marina at Naburn on the Ouse has a brokerage.

Damn I could have sworn there was a canal somewhere (gads it could even be in I better check where my boat is moored) near Selby. A lovely little canal if I remember rightly and not too many weeds unlike the Pocklington. Good grief it's not even too far from Easingwold. No marinas as such though. Just a boatyard and a lock basin onto the Ouse. Goodness it looks like we even have roads and villages even a major city or two and towns.

Pete

P

I seem to recall passing and speaking to you once on the Selby.