Anyone done the Rochdale recently?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Has anyone attempted, completed the Rochdale in the past few weeks?

Will my widebeam make it. CRT say on their website, that it will be "challenging". (low water levels) We're talking about the Rochdale...which is ALWAYS challenging...so what do they mean....do they mean it's more challenging than normal....

who has done it?

Ah well if there might be a problem you can turn round and go back the way you came.

Hi Ian :)

I'm in Leeds now, and waiting till Fri to hear about the issue with lock 48 on the L&L.....if it's going to take them weeks to fix, I wont have any choice but to do the Rochdale...but prefer to do the L&L again :) I looked for your boat when passing Skipton, but didnt see you...;-)

Hi Ian smile.png

I'm in Leeds now, and waiting till Fri to hear about the issue with lock 48 on the L&L.....if it's going to take them weeks to fix, I wont have any choice but to do the Rochdale...but prefer to do the L&L again smile.png I looked for your boat when passing Skipton, but didnt see you...;-)

I was at East Marton I think Dean.

Has anyone attempted, completed the Rochdale in the past few weeks?

We have not done it for a couple of years. It was a challenge even with plenty of water. If it was me, I would see if you could get a few friends off the forum to lock wheel for you. It becomes much more of a challenge with the wildlife the closer you get to Manchester after Littleborough.

If you go that way, get your certificate of passage from the summit lock keeper ;-)

Well we went up 1st week in June when

there was allegedly water but ran out

just above the guillotine gate above Tod,

right by The Great Wall, luckily we were saved

by The Girl Guides (bless 'em) who were

coming down and brought enough water with them.

It was fine higher up but that was 2 months ago.

I'm going to pm you

Top pound was low a few weeks back but it's full now. That should have trickled down to gauxholme and the Great Wall too. My mate in Sowerby said he was a bit low, if I get chance I'll ask him how it is at moment. It's not as challenging as folk like to make out IMHO. Just one lock after another. Same old same old. But with better views! I,ve had to lock wheel ahead now and then to let water down when needed but never got stuck, you have slaves for that sort of thing!

Never had trouble with the Manchester wildlife either, just talk to 'em. Suppose there may be more around just now, holidays.

I'll give you a wave as you come over, may have time to come and help.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone.

I did the Rochdale 3yrs back, and my knees packed in from doing 20locks per day for 5 days :)

In a widebeam we have to do both gates too...:)

I'll make a decision on Friday when we hear an update on lock 48 on the L&L . One way or the other I have to get the boat back to Manchester by the 25Aug.

Get yourself a length of scaffold pole maybe 2 metres long, where lock gates have an iron staple / handle you can extend the length/ increase the leverage. I have a car engine hoist, cheap and cheerful, with a couple of slings and bits of rope it can be used to winch a gate open in an emergency. ( or shift an obstinate swing bridge on the l&l.