Morso Squirrel Smoke Problem

Fruity

Featured Posts

Above the throat plate, at the bottom of the flue, inside my Morso Squirrel, I have a rounded cup bolted to the roof of the stove. This seems to restrict the removal of smoke which often comes back into the room in abundance when adding fuel. The flue is clean. Some of these fires seem to have the cup fitted whilst others don't. Presumably it's there for a reason... should it aid draw? Would it help the smoke-in-the-room issue if I removed it? I normally burn 'smokeless' fuel (which plainly isn't!).

I would have thought that it was there to stop you stacking the fuel too high and blocking the chimney restricting the outward passage of smoke up the chimney.

I think that it does aid draw though and if you avoid over fueling then I would think that you could remove the dish. I am sure that this would improve the flow of smoke into the chimney and therefore reduce the amount of smoke available to come back at you through the door.

Above the throat plate, at the bottom of the flue, inside my Morso Squirrel, I have a rounded cup bolted to the roof of the stove. This seems to restrict the removal of smoke which often comes back into the room in abundance when adding fuel. The flue is clean. Some of these fires seem to have the cup fitted whilst others don't. Presumably it's there for a reason... should it aid draw? Would it help the smoke-in-the-room issue if I removed it? I normally burn 'smokeless' fuel (which plainly isn't!).

Hi

The plate is a recent fitting only been on for the last few years as also the stupid washers that are behind the lower spinwheel. It is H and S gone mad. Bin the stupid thing and the silly washers and return your stove to work faultlessly as it was designed to do without those stupid additions.

Tim

I believe it is there to reduce the draw of the chimney, when fitted in a house with a tall chimney, our chimneys are probably to short so removing it should be OK.

Mine the 1430 model does not have it. It does have the back plate though.

To reduce smoke into the room, release the catch but wait for a count of ten before opening door, slowly.

Fuel is not smokeless it is actually smoke less. wink.png

Fruity,

The rounded cup you refer to is, I think, called a smoke hood. I don’t know which Morso stove you have, but if you look up the installation instructions for your stove on the Morso site, for example, a Morso 1410,

http://morso.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/72144600-1410-1440-DS-EN_UK.pdf on page 5 it states that

“The smoke hood must not be fitted if the stove is installed on a boat where the flue height is likely to be less than 4.5M. On our boat I found that the smoke hood was fitted, I've now removed it, but when I first checked it, I found mill scale from the flue chimney as well as soot accumulated in the half moon smoke hood, the amount of crud resting inside the smoke hood was worrying.