Anyone fancy a Bailey Bridge?

carlt

Featured Posts

In fact the Bailey bridge is an old bridge I was in the last Engineer training party to be taught how to build it and that was 1971

and if memmory serves me the bidge was withdrawing out of service circ 1974, the last baily bridge to be build by Royal engineers was at RNFA Culdrose about 1975 ish.

In fact the Bailey bridge is an old bridge I was in the last Engineer training party to be taught how to build it and that was 1971

and if memmory serves me the bidge was withdrawing out of service circ 1974, the last baily bridge to be build by Royal engineers was at RNFA Culdrose about 1975 ish.

Well nevertheless, would it not be prudent to keep such a bridge on stanby, then, should an over bridge fail somewhere, use it as a temporary stopgap, or would the health and safety brigade have a head fit.

Stephen Fry quote :- The two most dangerous words in the English language are health & Safety!

Well nevertheless, would it not be prudent to keep such a bridge on stanby, then, should an over bridge fail somewhere, use it as a temporary stopgap, or would the health and safety brigade have a head fit.

Stephen Fry quote :- The two most dangerous words in the English language are health & Safety!

It was replaced my a far better bridge and a easier bridge to build called the MGB (Medium girder bridge).

Can't find any pics at the moment of the old Bailey bridge over the Wreake (Soar Navigation) below Syston , its now currently laying in the field having been removed, It was a great memory for me after returning to boating some 12yrs ago as I knew that (as a young un) we were almost home when we past underneath.

Seeing it still in place when I bought our cruiser was like having Grandad back aboard on my first cruise........

If anyone has pics I would love to see them