Engine identification

Featured Posts

Hi all, after my boat sunk last year I am now in the process of trying to sort the engine out. Looks like I've been quite lucky as I've had the head off and it doesn't look bad in there, manifolds are a bit worse for wear though. Didn't grab any pictures before the big clean up, I was having a major flap at the time!

Main problem I'm having is that all I know about it is it's a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel. From what I've seen online I reckon it's a Mitsubishi K3 of some description, most likely a Mitsubishi K3D, which was sold as a Vetus M3.10. I'm struggling to find any sort of engine numbers to help, I've found a 4 digit casting number on the block but that's it. The heat exchanger/exhaust is a Bowman ML130 with the year 1988 stamped on the plate. I'm struggling to find any decent pictures from a 'happier time' either, could have sworn blind I had some.

Can anyone help? I'm also going to need somewhere that sells the correct head gasket and preferably the other gaskets too, before I draw the cornflakes packet out

Just to add...it looks like it wasn't always blue, the paint job definitely looks like a later addition, and the boat itself was a similar shade of blue at some point in its life. I know the Vetus engines are usually yellow so here's hoping...

IMG_0362_zpsa3613876.jpg

IMG_6929_zps9fa20b08.jpg

168608_498902657135_7585963_n_zpsa372475

Edited by TheKeymeister

Looks I might be able to answer my own question here.... found a PDF for Bowman heat exchangers and apparently the ML130 is for Mitsubishi L3 engines. Having referred to the paperwork I have got, it's apparently 800cc, and further research indicates the L3C engine is 800cc so fits the bill quite well....

I've also found that the engine model and number is on the block just below the injector pump, I'll have a run out tomorrow to confirm and report back...

If anyone knows where I can get a head gasket and any other useful gaskets then do let me know!

Thanks for the info :)

As an aside, if anyone needs a copy of a workshop manual for the Mitsubishi K3D/Vetus M3.10, or the Mitsubishi L3C, let me know, many hours of research and jiggery pokery found workshop manuals for Toro Groundmaster lawnmowers that used those engines, but it's far from immediately obvious to find!

All mainly because I'm far too tight to pay for one from these people who flog PDF manuals online....you can take a man out of yorkshire and all that...