Leeds and liverpool canal

steaming floater

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am about to embark on my first single handed cruise next week ( 3 Oct 06 ) .

I am moving to a life afloat aboard my Hancock and Lane 55ft cruiser stern, moored near Foulridge Tunnel.

I have just complted a Helmsmans course at Willow Wren in Rugby and found it very worthwhile. The only thing is that the single locks down there are unlike the Leeds and Liverpool canal, with thier diversity of styles and types.

Is anyone planning to be around the area? Maybe we could pair up to help me get some experience.

Any other advise will be appreciated.

Edited by steaming floater

It is worth calling BW and requesting some assistance for the Wigan flight if nothing else - or loiter at Plank Lane which is pretty safe until someone polls up.

Other than that apply some common sense around times of passage through Blackburn and Burnley (although no locks - it is the area we have had most bother)

The main challenge you will have, although there are only 3, is swing bridges - an absolute pain when solo.

Have fun !

RH

It is worth calling BW and requesting some assistance for the Wigan flight if nothing else - or loiter at Plank Lane which is pretty safe until someone polls up.

Good advice...We went up Wigan flight with three...me, my partner and his 12 yr old daughter, I hurt my ankle & Kiara hurt her shoulder pushing the gates, we snapped off the front fender in one lock and broke the tunnel light when the current from one of the bye washes smashed us against the side of another lock. Both Kiara and I ended up in tears it was so hard, but then we had had a long hard jouney before we got there and we were all very tired and on a tight schedule. I've never been so pleased to see a lock keeper in my life when they trooped up at the fifth lock to offer help, if we had phoned ahead they would have set all the locks for us in advance which would have been great. It's not the number of locks in the flight, we managed heartbreak with little difficulty, it's the daunting amount in such a short distance that kills you, would have been Ok if we had gone up with another boat but it was deserted the day we did it.

REgards,

ALly p.

Ive done wigan with just the two of us, its a pritty long way, but its not that bad.

- Just take it slow, and gently chip away at it, lock-by-lock, and you'll get there.

- And if you going up, theres a pup and a water point at the top. Just leave the boat filling and grab a nice cool pint.

Heartbreaks more than do-able to, rattled though it in no time last week.

- In fact, i basicaly locked two boat though the whole lot.

- There are enough locks that are only single, that you cant really overtake, and the boat infront was crewed be an elderly gentleman and his daugter. Whith her at the helm all the locks where against us, bar one.

- So ran back-forwards like a mainac, seting the locks for both boats, and locking there boat though. Leaving the gent off the there boat just to close the gate bhind us. Mad!

Im going to me at uni then (leave on friday) so i cant offer to help. But have fun. Dont do anything stupid, that i wouldnt do, and see you out he other side!

Daniel

- And if you going up, theres a pup and a water point at the top. Just leave the boat filling and grab a nice cool pint.

Theres a pub there too :(

The Kirklees Hall at Wigan Top Lock - No 65. My Great Grandfather (James Paxton) had it for a number of years in the late 1870's. I don't know what its like now - I hope to do the L&L on the next holiday trip.

I have still my Grandmother's Rag Rug 'ook that was given to her by a boatman's wife.

Rishton is a good place to moor in between Blackburn and Burnley.

Moor at the Dover Lock pub in between Plank Lane and Wigan, then up Wigan and on to perhaps Johnsons Hillock, then Rishton.

Wide locks are easier than narrow ones single handed, as you just use one side, locks and paddles. If you are lucky, you may get to share with someone with crew up Wigan. Get chatting to others at Dover Lock!!!

Watch out for underwater obstructions in Blackburn and Burnley. There is some cracking countryside up your route. Have fun and take it easy.

:rolleyes:

Rishton is a good place to moor in between Blackburn and Burnley.

Thankyou all for your comments, keep me in mind if you are up my way and email

narrowbarge@hotmail.co

Look forward to seeing you

When I last lived up north I heard a good saying

Dont do owt for nowt, and if tha does, do it for thisen

Tight these northerners are, but hearty folk.