Am I allowed to praise BW / C&RT ?

sooty

Featured Posts

We decided to take a trip from our residential mooring in Leeds to the summit of the Rochdale Canal at the end of April.

We had the misfortune to get stuck the wrong side of a broken Shepley Bridge Lock on the return journey.

It took just over three week to crane out the gates, have replica gates made at Stanley Ferry and crane them back in.

I think this is a remarkable achievement given the logistics involved (and at what cost),I fully expected to stuck a for lot longer with the only alternative being a 4 week ring over the pennines !

The Waterscape emails (you can sign up for email 'notifications') kept us fully informed throughout.

Thankyou to C&RT for a job well done, we are now back home after being 'commuters' for a while.(Mirfield ain't too bad a place to be stranded !)

Also on the same trip a 12' widebeam was heading to the summit and having a lot of difficulty in the locks.

On the occasion when we passed it, a CRT worker was up to his neck in dirty water and cr*p at the bottom of a lock gate removing sunken debris so the gates could be opened fully to get the boat in. I thought this was well above the 'call of duty'.

I must say, I agree. CRT do an AMAZING job sometimes with stuff like this.

Other times they really feck it up by, for example, letting that lock on the Aylesbury arm cave in when (AIUI) they've known there was a bad problem looming for years. Unless I've misunderstood.

MtB

(Edited to clarify wot I rote.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I must say, I agree. CRT do an AMAZING job sometimes with stuff like this.

Other times they really feck it up by, for example, letting that lock on the Aylesbury arm cave in when (AIUI) they've known there was a bad problem looming for years. Unless I've misunderstood.

MtB

(Edited to clarify wot I rote.)

I agree with Wot he sed

I agree! I think that far too often we tar the workers for CRT with the same brush as their bosses. Many of those 'at the top' really are nothing to do with the waterways. They could be 'managers' of anything! I have found all the CRT staff 'on the ground' (or in the water?) with whom I have come into contact to be helpful, sympathetic and co-operative.

Could it be that C&RT are victims of the age old saying that; 'Your names only known when you're in the sh*t'?

It appears that amongst many other frailties, us humans are inclined to remember misdemeanours more readily than worthy events. Where we are on the Shroppie, they have responded to problems quite quickly and come across as being proactive in maintaining our stretch of the waterway.