Fender Brackets

Edders

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where I can obtain fender brackets to hook over my boat's handrails? I dont want a permanently fixed type as I need them to be able to be positioned anywhere along the rail to allow for the shape of the canal bank etc when mooring up.

Thanks,

Edders

Our boat was built without any fender eyes and our handrail is the moulded type so there is nothing to tie to.

We made a couple of fender hooks from mahoghany offcuts.

We just cut the shape out with a jigsaw, sanded/filed the edges round, drilled a hole at the bottom for the fender line and lined the inside with some rubber material from some old drink coasters, in order to protect the paint.

They are very useful, but we have snapped one under stress when the fender got stuck.

They act as a kind of quick release mechanism by breaking which isnt a bad thing, if your fender is stuck.

Edited by Golden Duck

Does anyone know where I can obtain fender brackets to hook over my boat's handrails? I dont want a permanently fixed type as I need them to be able to be positioned anywhere along the rail to allow for the shape of the canal bank etc when mooring up.

Thanks,

Edders

We supply them for those who aren't able to or can't be bothered to make them out of ply. These are 3/4" thick ply, varnished with 3 coats of warnish. Holes take 8mm rope. £4.50 for narrow ones (handrails up to 45mm wide) or £4.80 for wide ones (handrails up to 60mm wide). We can easily post them for a few pence too.

Handrailhooks.jpg

The Tradline ones (which we normally stock) are currently unavailable whilst they source a new supplier. They cost about £16 when available.

Edited by Canal Shop Man

I made three very similar to the Canalshop ones a couple of years ago, and they work fine when mooring overnight or at lunchtime. However, I would counsell against having them in place all winter, which is what I did. The constant damp environment underneath them where the timber was in contact with the handrail caused the paint to blister, which was a bit irritating.

As an alternative I fitted two sets of folding brass steps to the cabin sides at the front and back of the cabin, I now hang the mooring side fenders from these, plus they are very useful on the rare occassions when I have to get onto the roof.