Crazy mooring restriction

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

I don't know the moorings in question but as I pointed out earlier if you use land for more than 12 years without challenge or fee it legally becomes yours. I was thinking the same may apply here.

I think you will find that this only applies to land not on the land registry.

:)

I think you will find that this only applies to land not on the land registry.

smile.png

When I bought my first house I was given permission by neighbours (On the basis of everybody from your house has always parked their so perhaps permission isn't quite the right word) to use some land to park the car on. The land did not belong to them but to the firm I bought the house from.

The advice from the solicitor was say nothing keep using it and if nobody complains or charges in 12 years yo can claim it. Now he might have been wrong but that was his professional advice. I suspect it to be true because 30+ years later it seems to be being treated as their own by the current owners of the house.

When I bought my first house I was given permission by neighbours (On the basis of everybody from your house has always parked their so perhaps permission isn't quite the right word) to use some land to park the car on. The land did not belong to them but to the firm I bought the house from.

The advice from the solicitor was say nothing keep using it and if nobody complains or charges in 12 years yo can claim it. Now he might have been wrong but that was his professional advice. I suspect it to be true because 30+ years later it seems to be being treated as their own by the current owners of the house.

The process for obtaining title (ownership) to land under adverse possession is now much more difficult. Firstly, is the land registered at all? You'll need to search the Land Registry to find out. If it is registered, then if you claim ownership under adverse possession, a notice will be sent to the registered owner who can refute your claim, as the land is registered to them.

If it's not registered, then you need to follow the process set out in this guide from the Land Registry. Even then, you'll see that it's not guaranteed that you get ownership of the land. In particular, the Land Registry are likely to contact people that they think might have an interest (ownership) in the land.

:)