Tardebigge Flight

TimB

Featured Posts

Hello,

Is anyone able to advise...If you start up ( or down ) the Tardebigge flight on the Worcs & Birm Canal but only get halfway or thereabouts due to darkness, tiredness or some other delay are you able to moor for the night? and if so is this acceptable or frowned upon.

Thanks

Tim

Tim

Welcome to the forum.

Personally if it was me, if unable to make it in one go, then an early finish one day and and an early start the next.

There is a pub by lock 29 (Tardibigge Bottom Lock) a good place to stop if going up or down. ;)

Its always sad when a pub closes but that one did need putting out of its misery!

There's a pound part way down where its ok to moor, nearer the top than the bottom I think? Google earth is a good way to investigate these things, and great fun for the canal addict!

........Dave

Hello,

Is anyone able to advise...If you start up ( or down ) the Tardebigge flight on the Worcs & Birm Canal but only get halfway or thereabouts due to darkness, tiredness or some other delay are you able to moor for the night? and if so is this acceptable or frowned upon.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

Not sure if it is frowned upon, but beware - the pounds are small and easily loose water if a mis-practce occurs.

I would stick with the advice of arrive the night before and moor up for an early start. With a good crew, you can do it in 3 hours if first in the line.

When we came up Tardebirge a year or so back with some fellow CWDFers they had the idea that stopping part way up might be fasible if we needed too.

In practice I think we concluded few of the pounds were really suitable, although we were two boats together, and if we had really had to, and only needed to find space for one boat, then there were places we could have stopped.

Less than ideal, though really, I would have said because most are really quite short.

Better all done in the same day really, for the main part of the flight.

Thanks for all the advice...it was a matter of time limitations and I was looking at the options. I have a pretty experienced crew and so I think it will be the early start and hopefully wizz through them.

Cheers

Tim

We did this last year and found a lovely peaceful spot about half way down. We were woken the next morning when the boat took up an alarming list as the water level dropped when a lock was emptied. I would still moor there again if necessary but be much more careful to make sure there was sufficient depth close to the bank.

We did this last year and found a lovely peaceful spot about half way down. We were woken the next morning when the boat took up an alarming list as the water level dropped when a lock was emptied. I would still moor there again if necessary but be much more careful to make sure there was sufficient depth close to the bank.

I found the same thing a few years back

Woke up at 20 degrees list and aground!

Had to dump two locksfull into the pound to get afloat again.