Bristol Harbour area and general advice for novice!

Steerpike

Featured Posts

I am currently looking at the possibility of living aboard in Bristol Harbour. I have not lived aboard a boat before though have taken holidays on them. It definitely appeals and I have been researching quite a lot about the practicalities of making the transition. I don’t think I am naïve about the difficult side of being a boat owner / dweller but am daunted by the prospect of stepping into this world for the first time. I am not a property owner at the moment so the funds I could raise would be quite limited. I’m thinking about a loan secured against the boat or a marine mortgage and I have checked out Barclays Marine for this – any advice on this would be greatly appreciated).

I would ideally look at getting a Dutch Barge – I live alone though am relatively tall and think I would benefit from the extra space. If I was able to find something suitable and (and I appreciate it’s a big and) get a mooring in Bristol somewhere then I think my focus would be on having it as a floating apartment rather than a vessel to travel any distance at the moment. I think for this reason again I would benefit from a more ‘permanent’ type mooring and could sacrifice manoeuvrebility for getting something a bit bigger than a narrowboat.

To cut to the chase, I’m really not sure how to take this forward. I don’t want to get too excited by the idea only to find I cannot get a mooring in Bristol. And which step to take first? I don’t want to put myself forward on any waiting list and then struggle to find the right boat or to secure the mortgage when a mooring comes up. And I’m not sure at what stage of completion / standard at which to buy a boat – I certainly cant afford the brand new fully fitted replica barges. If I were to buy a newish hull / shell, are there some good local / reputable boatbuilders / engineers / fitters who could take on fitting the interior?

I guess I’m just looking for some good advice on the local ‘scene’ in general. What’s the situation like locally in Bristol Harbour (for getting a decent mooring) at the moment?

Sorry to be so vague – any advice appreciated.

I am currently looking at the possibility of living aboard in Bristol Harbour. I have not lived aboard a boat before though have taken holidays on them. It definitely appeals and I have been researching quite a lot about the practicalities of making the transition. I don’t think I am naïve about the difficult side of being a boat owner / dweller but am daunted by the prospect of stepping into this world for the first time. I am not a property owner at the moment so the funds I could raise would be quite limited. I’m thinking about a loan secured against the boat or a marine mortgage and I have checked out Barclays Marine for this – any advice on this would be greatly appreciated).

I would ideally look at getting a Dutch Barge – I live alone though am relatively tall and think I would benefit from the extra space. If I was able to find something suitable and (and I appreciate it’s a big and) get a mooring in Bristol somewhere then I think my focus would be on having it as a floating apartment rather than a vessel to travel any distance at the moment. I think for this reason again I would benefit from a more ‘permanent’ type mooring and could sacrifice manoeuvrebility for getting something a bit bigger than a narrowboat.

To cut to the chase, I’m really not sure how to take this forward. I don’t want to get too excited by the idea only to find I cannot get a mooring in Bristol. And which step to take first? I don’t want to put myself forward on any waiting list and then struggle to find the right boat or to secure the mortgage when a mooring comes up. And I’m not sure at what stage of completion / standard at which to buy a boat – I certainly cant afford the brand new fully fitted replica barges. If I were to buy a newish hull / shell, are there some good local / reputable boatbuilders / engineers / fitters who could take on fitting the interior?

I guess I’m just looking for some good advice on the local ‘scene’ in general. What’s the situation like locally in Bristol Harbour (for getting a decent mooring) at the moment?

Sorry to be so vague – any advice appreciated.

After, getting a mooring have a look on Apollo Duck for a boat!!!

Pick a couple of likely boats (if you are looking at old Dutch barges, I think you'll find it hard to get finance against them).

Take photos of the boats, and walk round the marinas, showing the owners the photos. Be honest, tell them that you are looking to buy a boat "like these", but want to secure a mooring first.

If you are tall, you'll find a narrowboat a bit cramped, both for sleeping and standing. My (for sale) tjalk has decent headroom, but won't fit down many of the canals in the UK.

You can pick up a decent old dutch barge for under £40k, it will be a little tatty in parts, but should be complete and functional for that price. Make sure you get a hull survey if looking at an old boat.

Edited by Alastair

Thanks for that Alastair. I would be reluctant to get something that needs too much work as I would not be capable of doing any restoration myself at this stage. But financing may be a problem - £40k would be about my limit I'd guess. Maybe I'll phone up Barclays Marine and see what they will lend me. But good advice - I think it will be a case of speaking to people face to face to test the water. Any opinions on the site (Apollo Duck) that the fella above recommends? I've had a look and it seems a good starting point for sourcing suitable boats. I'm a bit loathe to travel miles to see a boat that looks great online only to find its unsuitable. I guess the key things to look for are a safety cert and a recent survey.

Do not trust either get your own, can be used as a bargaining tool.

The BSS Certificate is just a snapshot in time examination of the installations (see www.boatsafetyscheme.com). Things change and deteriorate.

There are different kinds of survey for variety of reasons. A pre-purchase survey usually covers far wider aspects including hull and mechanical condition. If you arrange your own survey and BSS certification you will have a contractural relationship with the peron(s) acting on your behalf.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for that Alastair. I would be reluctant to get something that needs too much work as I would not be capable of doing any restoration myself at this stage.

I don't think you need worry on that point. My boat, as I bought her, had a fully working kitchen, bathroom, heating and engine. She had been repainted just months previously. She cost £35k.

A recent survey is still a good thing, as it gives an indication as to whether it is worth spending the money on paying for your own survey. A current BSS cert is a must, it can cost a lot of time to get a boat through a BSS.

Get a survey ! It's a must if you're parting with serious money, not optional. Bristol harbour is pretty full according to the harbourmaster, but if you look around the harbour you'll disagree with them, cos to my eye it looks about four fifths empty compared to any working harbour. Pretty good value the moorings. The waiting list for full residential moorings is several decades, I believe.

The waiting list for full residential moorings is several decades, I believe.

Thanks for the advice all.

Cris P - if the waiting list for full residential moorings in Bristol Harbour is several decades then it looks like I'm wasting my time. You mention your on the K&A Canal. Any idea what the permanent residential scene is like near to Bristol(i'd need to be commutable distance)? I'm thinking Saltford Marina, Keynsham, Bath, Brad-on-Avon..........

Thanks for the advice all.

Cris P - if the waiting list for full residential moorings in Bristol Harbour is several decades then it looks like I'm wasting my time. You mention your on the K&A Canal. Any idea what the permanent residential scene is like near to Bristol(i'd need to be commutable distance)? I'm thinking Saltford Marina, Keynsham, Bath, Brad-on-Avon..........

Have a word with Dale at Devizes Marina - who said today there's a resi moring there - but sit down when you ask the cost. :angry:

Have a word with Dale at Devizes Marina - who said today there's a resi moring there - but sit down when you ask the cost.

Quite. The cost of residential moorings is getting silly on the K&A. Mine is nearing the 4k p.a. mark. Good value ? It's pretty much doubled over 3 years.