Anchor

Edders

Featured Posts

I shall be taking my boat onto the Trent in the near future and will need an anchor. My question is, where is the best place to keep it whilst on the river as I have heard several conflicting views.

If it is at the bow, there may not be enought time to get to it before disaster strikes (70ft boat), so would the stern be OK?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edders

I keep my anchor at the front, if I need to throw it I will race through the boat and chuck it overboard - that way I should get quite a few hail mary's in on the way. I have got a traditional stern and it wouldn't be pratical to have it at the stern, I would trip over it or end up going in with it.

Hi

There is a theory that it depends on your direction of travel:

Going downstream then the anchor should be at the stern

Going upstream then it should be at the bow.

This will stop the boat doing an about face very quickly, which could throw someone overboard.

Whichever end you put it make sure it is attached to the boat securely.

Hi

There is a theory that it depends on your direction of travel:

Going downstream then the anchor should be at the stern

Going upstream then it should be at the bow.

This will stop the boat doing an about face very quickly, which could throw someone overboard.

Whichever end you put it make sure it is attached to the boat securely.

Thanks for that Bottle. Makes perfect sense.

Cheers

Edders

I shall be taking my boat onto the Trent in the near future and will need an anchor. My question is, where is the best place to keep it whilst on the river as I have heard several conflicting views.

If it is at the bow, there may not be enought time to get to it before disaster strikes (70ft boat), so would the stern be OK?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edders

If your the only one on board, keep it with you. If you have a crew, brief them first and have the anchor at the bow or stern depending on the direction of travel vis the flow. That way on you command someone will do the right thing if required. Make sure that the anchor and chain are attached to a rope and you have a sharp knife incase you need to cut the anchor off.

If your the only one on board, keep it with you. If you have a crew, brief them first and have the anchor at the bow or stern depending on the direction of travel vis the flow. That way on you command someone will do the right thing if required. Make sure that the anchor and chain are attached to a rope and you have a sharp knife incase you need to cut the anchor off. Sometimes the buggars don't release.

"Whichever end you put it make sure it is attached to the boat securely"

I have been advised that the standard welded-on mooring line studs are dangerously inadequate for an anchor - the anchor could simply rip them off the boat. The solution, I am told, is a proper drilled through eye bolt with a large washer or plate to support it.

"Whichever end you put it make sure it is attached to the boat securely"

I have been advised that the standard welded-on mooring line studs are dangerously inadequate for an anchor - the anchor could simply rip them off the boat. The solution, I am told, is a proper drilled through eye bolt with a large washer or plate to support it.

which brings us back to the RCD requirements. The relevant ISO standard requires that the fixings are stronger than the ropes, or to put it another way, make sure your ropes are not too strong. For example, one inch diameter nylon would break most fixings on your boat, probably including the T-bar at the bow, before it fails.

We keep ours in the fordeck (front) of the boat usally.

- As thats where the winch, chain store, pulleys, etc are. And its out of the way(ish)

- On rivers such as the lower thames this is fine always, as theres more than enough room to swing our 58ft narrowboat on the anchor.

- And tbh, nine times out of ten, the river conditions we go out on dont really actally pose any great risk.

- Also should you have to traverse a down a river in heavy flood, i bealve the recomended procedure is to go down backwards anyway.

Daniel