BMC 2.2 lift pump to fuel filter pipe

Paul1977

Featured Posts

I can physically see air in the clear pipe work. I've taken a photo but don't know how to upload it

Unless there is something very new on the market my experience has been that all "see through" pipes suffer a reaction with the diesel/oil and harden. Then it only take a bit of extra vibration or man handling for it to split. If you want it flexible please get hose marked as suitable for fuel. The clear stuff also seems to harden with engine heat.

Hi, I've only just got to boat so been going through it all. I'd like to replace the fuel hose to safty standard with banjo's but dont know the size of the fuel filter connector (is it 1/2 inch ??) or the lift pump connector. Also after all your help im going to plumb the injector return into the fuel filter not the fuel tank. Any other advice ??

Cheers

Paul

Hi, I've only just got to boat so been going through it all. I'd like to replace the fuel hose to safty standard with banjo's but dont know the size of the fuel filter connector (is it 1/2 inch ??) or the lift pump connector. Also after all your help im going to plumb the injector return into the fuel filter not the fuel tank. Any other advice ??

Cheers

Paul

Do not do that. If you do you will always be bleeding it unless you are very lucky. The top of the filter (0.5mm bleed hole in banjo) AND the injector leak off pipes should both return to the tank. I seem to remember the 2.2 used a twin elbow on the filter to to join the leak off and return pipes.

Would your fuel filter be fully encased in a metal housing or is it sandwiched between an alloy top and bottom piece. If its the former and, I think it may be with you talking about banjo bolts, then it is an earlier model probably with an inline injector pump. I think the later engines has special olive-nut unions or maybe not a nut and olive.

I am unclear as to what you want the size of. you have banjos and the banjo bolts. You can reuse the bolts and anyone who makes up flexible pipes should be able to pattern up the banjos. They shoudl also be bale to supply new copper washers.

Hi, the fuel filter is sandwiched between a top part and screw on bottom section. Im a bit lost when it comes to the names of the different pipe connectors. Would it be easier to take turn the fuel off and then disconect the pipe fully and pop it to my motor factors ?? Would this approach require a full system bleed ?

thanks

Paul

Hi, the fuel filter is sandwiched between a top part and screw on bottom section. Im a bit lost when it comes to the names of the different pipe connectors. Would it be easier to take turn the fuel off and then disconect the pipe fully and pop it to my motor factors ?? Would this approach require a full system bleed ?

thanks

Paul

That sort of filter normally uses olive or olive-nuts on the unions.

I doubt a motor factors would be equipped to make up hose assemblies but if they are then take the pipe to them. I suspect that you may have to find a chandlers with engineers attached.

AS you will be letting air into the system then yes you will have to bleed the system. However you are going to have to do it eventually so the sooner you learn how the better. Its much easier with all the time in the world and calm waters that bobbing about in a force 6 trying to bleed it before you get run down in the channel!

If you post a photo of the injector pump and filter we can explain exactly how to bleed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, cheers for all the help. I spent yesterday swapping out the original 2v glow plugs to new 12v glow plugs and gave the engine a run (it started straight away). It seems like the air was getting into the system by the fuel filter not fitting correctly as i could see a see a little drip of diesel run down it. Also ive noticed that its smokey (white) with the odd puff of grey, could this be a result of air getting into the system or a clogged injector ?

Thanks again

Paul

Hi all, cheers for all the help. I spent yesterday swapping out the original 2v glow plugs to new 12v glow plugs and gave the engine a run (it started straight away). It seems like the air was getting into the system by the fuel filter not fitting correctly as i could see a see a little drip of diesel run down it. Also ive noticed that its smokey (white) with the odd puff of grey, could this be a result of air getting into the system or a clogged injector ?

Thanks again

Paul

If this was soon after starting then please ignore it unless you are rich. The "odd puff of grey" makes me suspect an injector problem or possible a valve clearance a bit tight but do nothing until you have given it a good hard run. If it starts easily, the smoke clears by 10 minutes after start up, and it stays clear then I doubt it is worth trying to solve it. It would be very unlikely to be air. Air usually either gets passed straight back to the tank via the leak off on the filter head or gradually builds up until the engine just stops and you have to bleed it again.