Factory Tunnel

FredW

Featured Posts

Having dragged Tom Foxon's book "Number One" off the shelf last night, I can confirm it says...

Near Bromford the Birlec factory spanned the canal for a considerable distance. One evening coming up loaded, I ran into an obstruction here, right in the middle of the cut. Although the boat would move pivot-wise, all my efforts to get it off were in vain, so I had to spend the night in this insalubrious place. Early next morning the flush of water from an approaching Grand Union pair, going empty to the collierie lifted me clear.

There seems no doubt in my mind this was the Birlec (Birmingham Electrical Furnaces) factory.

Shortly after it says....

After 'The Birlec', Trout Pool Bridge - notorious for the varied collection of ironmongery lurking in its shadows - was he las obstacle before reaching G.E.C

further confirming the location as being 'The Birlec'.

This "Factory tunnel" is a wartime covered loading facility. The roof is massive re inforced concrete and the "bays" underneath are where loading took place. The corrugated iron building atop is still partly painted in camoflage.

Apparently it was a submarine base, a bit like Saint Nazerre.

Hi,

Thanks for your input dave69700.

Your reference to BW storm water drainage for Birlec at 325,Tyburn Road would make it the factory over the canal. The office block in my photo's is number 329,Tyburn Road.

Fred.

Confirmed, It WAS Birlec.

Would you believe, talking to one of my colleagues at the club today, it transpires that he actually started work at Birlec, in Tyburn Road, on 27th Dec 1946 at the age of 14. He said that the section over the canal WAS in place when he started, so he could not say if the reference to an OS map is right, or wrong.

Apparently, the section over the canal was the electricians area, where all the electrical gear was fitted into the new furnaces. He has a vivid memory of cheeking one of the electricians and to teach him a lesson, they shut him into a newly-built crematoria furnace for the longest 10 mins of his life. Whilst it was not airtight, he said it was pitch black in there <shudders>.

He is himself a boater with, incidentally a SUC Frobisher like mine, but not ex-hire.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring this topic back to the top of the pile but I have received some more info.

OldGoldy of this Parish sent me a link & from it I have been able to work out that the "Factory Tunnel" was built sometime between July 1937 & February 1939.Prior to then the factory only expanded alongside the canal & it was indeed,BIRLEC.

Fred.

The link is below if your interested.

http://www.britainfr...h?search=birlec

• Greenie 1