End of year oil leak - PRM Delta

Toad555

Featured Posts

All complete and seems ok now.

I used the wider seal of the two I bought and it seems just fine. I did consider bonding it in with something but there really was no need, it was quite firm to knock in so I can't see it going anywhere.

Thanks for everyones kind words that kept me confident on doing this repair.

Actually, one last thought.

The workshop manual for the PRM Delta states it holds 1.4L of oil but when I refilled mine that didn't even register on the dipstick, it actually took 1.8L, does anyone think this is an issue?

Yes there is an oil cooler but that wouldn't even have started to fill up at the point I was adding the oil, its higher than the gearbox and no oil would end up in there until the engine had been started.

It all seems ok now but as I might have mentioned earlier, I'm quite paranoid and any deviation from the book where oil level is concerned does leave me concerned after having most of it end up in my engine tray a number of times :)

I guess the oil quantity listed must be for a slightly different model gearbox.

The manual for my Delta states that the engine should be run for 10 minutes and then stopped before checking the gearbox oil level. This is to allow for the quantity of oil needed to circulate in the cooling circuit to be pumped into the circuit by the gearbox. Not all cooling circuits will hold the same amount of oil, it depends on size of the cooler and length of connecting hoses.

IIRC when I changed my oil it took some 1.7 litres using the above checking method.

Edited to add; the quantity of oil needed according to the manual is 1.4 litres plus extra for the cooling circuit. How much extra is determined by the checking method above.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited by ditchdabbler

Ah ha, thats useful info, helps calm my nerves about my oil level.

I take it you topped up so the level was just on the top mark when the dipstick has been screwed in fully.

As you described above is the method PRM prescribe but another method is to check it with the dipstick holder resting on the filler hole and checking to the bottom mark. I believe this method is used by others on this forum also. If you have any doubts use the prescribed method.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should come back and tie up this post.

My gearbox leak is all sorted now, it definitely was the input shaft seal that had perished, under a fiver for a new one from Hayley Bearings in Stoke on Trent soon had it sorted.

I did have to remove the gearbox to replace this seal as mentioned before but it wasn't too bad a job.

Prob about 4hrs in total but I was learning all the time.

• Greenie 1