Working Boatwomen

Heartland

Featured Posts

Darren

I can't either nor on an iPhone. I have been into Apple in Basingstoke this afternoon to demonstrate the issue and enquire why - they have no idea either. I'll put up a smaller version and see if that does the trick. The photos are quite odd on iPhoto in that they just look black until fully displayed. I'll have a little play this evening. They work fine on the smallest of the MacBook Air PCs.

ETA - Had a play with the image and it is now viewable on iPads and iPhones.

Edited by Leo No2

No idea about the serif on the A I am afraid. I do know that the boat was built at Nursers (their last wooden boat I believe) and I wonder if it was Frank Nurser style perhaps?

Unless you are making a distinction between when the Braunston yard was actually operated by Nurser Brothers, and when by the Samuel Barlow Coal Carrying company, then the last boat built there was Raymond in 1958, and before that, I believe Hazel the previous year. (They only ever built wooden boats).

As Heather Bell was built in 1937, it pre-dates the last boats built at that yard by over 20 years.

Unless you are making a distinction between when the Braunston yard was actually operated by Nurser Brothers, and when by the Samuel Barlow Coal Carrying company, then the last boat built there was Raymond in 1958, and before that, I believe Hazel the previous year. (They only ever built wooden boats).

As Heather Bell was built in 1937, it pre-dates the last boats built at that yard by over 20 years.

Alan - My understanding was last wooden Frank Nurser built boat not the last one built at the yard - but I may well be wrong and my post wasn't exactly clear - sitting at Basingstoke Railway Station is my excuse... :rolleyes:

Edited by Leo No2

Laurence

No idea about the serif on the A I am afraid. I do know that the boat was built at Nursers (their last wooden boat I believe) and I wonder if it was Frank Nurser style perhaps?

The last boat to be completed by Nurser Bros., Braunston was the motor HARDY - being completed in September 1940. Nurser Bros. sold out to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. on 01 March 1941 by which time the motor PRINCE was only part completed. PRINCE was subsequently completed by Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. in September 1941 but the first boat that they were to build completely from start to finish was WINSTON in April 1942.

This information is all available in Alan H. Faulkner's booklet BARLOWS, although in this instance my term of reference has been Nurser's own records.

The last boat to be completed by Nurser Bros., Braunston was the motor HARDY - being completed in September 1940. Nurser Bros. sold out to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. on 01 March 1941 by which time the motor PRINCE was only part completed. PRINCE was subsequently completed by Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. in September 1941 but the first boat that they were to build completely from start to finish was WINSTON in April 1942.

This information is all available in Alan H. Faulkner's booklet BARLOWS, although in this instance my term of reference has been Nurser's own records.

I knew someone here would have the answer - most interesting - thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

The women who worked boats during the Second World War, has been a topic that has been much publicised in recent years, yet what of those women workers who were engaged in war work during the Great War (1914-1918). The Birmingham Daily Post reported on April 5th, 1916, that a woman had been summoned at Tipton for failing to send her son to school regularly.

The firm of W & S Foster, canal carriers, Tipton, had because of the scarcity of boatmen, had been forced to employ women and youths. The woman summoned had been engaged in carrying sand to foundries for munitions work. Leonard Foster from the firm was reported as saying: " it was infinitely more important that munitions works should get their requisite supplies of sand than that there should be no interruption in the education of a few youths.

This case was deferred for further consideration by the Education Committee.

Ray Shill

The women who worked boats during the Second World War, has been a topic that has been much publicised in recent years, yet what of those women workers who were engaged in war work during the Great War (1914-1918). The Birmingham Daily Post reported on April 5th, 1916, that a woman had been summoned at Tipton for failing to send her son to school regularly.

The firm of W & S Foster, canal carriers, Tipton, had because of the scarcity of boatmen, had been forced to employ women and youths. The woman summoned had been engaged in carrying sand to foundries for munitions work. Leonard Foster from the firm was reported as saying: " it was infinitely more important that munitions works should get their requisite supplies of sand than that there should be no interruption in the education of a few youths.

This case was deferred for further consideration by the Education Committee.

Ray Shill

My mom your aunt worked in a munitions factory checking to make sure all the shells were in porpotion. If they fell through the so called strainer they were correct. I just recently discussed her time in England during WWII.