Fuel leak off ( return ) pipe

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, wonder if any one might have experience of this. I'm plumbing an old Coventry victor engine in on our boat and have got the fuel supply connected. The fuel leak off pipe from the injectors ends with a short length of micro bore size copper pipe. Do i need to return this to the diesel tank or could i just tee it into the supply line somewhere which would make the job a lot easier and less complicated. as long as the connection is before the lift pump i can't see a problem. Does anyone know of a reason why i shouldn't do it this way ? Thanks in advance, Kieron.

Not absolutely sure, but I think the BSS says it has to return to the tank.

But then if yours is a "vintage" engine dating from before the BSS, the rules could be different.

It can be run into a covered container, I think, but best to check the exact wording.

Quite possible that originally it just ran into the bilges.

I'm not a fan of returning to the fuel feed, if not designed that way. I've seen it done on a number of old engines to the pressure side of the lift pump, but don't believe that's a good idea.

Tim

But then if yours is a "vintage" engine dating from before the BSS, the rules could be different.

Kelvin engines had a special bracket to hold a whisky bottle (Teachers' I think) in which to collect this return fuel. Before I plumbed mine back into t he main tank I had an oil can which served this purpose. Never had any trouble with compliance.

• 2 weeks later...

Kelvin engines had a special bracket to hold a whisky bottle (Teachers' I think) in which to collect this return fuel. Before I plumbed mine back into t he main tank I had an oil can which served this purpose. Never had any trouble with compliance.

'Yes dear, I have to buy and drink this lovely bottle of whiskey, the engine needs it!'

• Greenie 1

'Yes dear, I have to buy and drink this lovely bottle of whiskey, the engine needs it!'

It is of course well known that Kelvin engines designed by the company founder, Walter Bergius, have great longevity due to the use of quality parts in their construction. However the specified diesel leak off container is known to be an exception to this and new ones must be purchased and made ready for use at very frequent intervals.

Their failure often occurs at around this time of year and I'm glad to say someone has kindly just given me a new one. It is being made ready over the next few days.

It does have to be Teachers as the Bergius family were related by marriage to the Teachers family so other imitations simply will not do.

Richard

It is of course well known that Kelvin engines designed by the company founder, Walter Bergius, have great longevity due to the use of quality parts in their construction. However the specified diesel leak off container is known to be an exception to this and new ones must be purchased and made ready for use at very frequent intervals.

Their failure often occurs at around this time of year and I'm glad to say someone has kindly just given me a new one. It is being made ready over the next few days.

It does have to be Teachers as the Bergius family were related by marriage to the Teachers family so other imitations simply will not do.

Richard

Your friendly BSS inspector won't like it, though....

(unless you feed him half the bottle beforehand)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Your friendly BSS inspector won't like it, though....

(unless you feed him half the bottle beforehand)

Tim

Yes, I know! The BSS guide refers to "a metal catch pot" (see 2.10.5) so a glass bottle sadly wouldn't comply.

I'm about to make up a "special bracket" for it but haven't a clue what the original factory one would have looked like (Anyone know? Assuming it wasn't an urban myth!). Perhaps if a leakproof "metal catch pot" were part of the bracket and surrounded the bottle at the bottom, it might be OK? The guide doesn't mention that the pot has to be covered.

The good thing about the glass bottle is that you can see the level of diesel and be reminded when to empty it before it overflows.

Richard

Yes, I know! The BSS guide refers to "a metal catch pot" (see 2.10.5) so a glass bottle sadly wouldn't comply.

I'm about to make up a "special bracket" for it but haven't a clue what the original factory one would have looked like (Anyone know? Assuming it wasn't an urban myth!). Perhaps if a leakproof "metal catch pot" were part of the bracket and surrounded the bottle at the bottom, it might be OK? The guide doesn't mention that the pot has to be covered.

The good thing about the glass bottle is that you can see the level of diesel and be reminded when to empty it before it overflows.

Richard

I suspect that in many fishing boat installations they didn't bother, simply ran it into the bilges.

Tim