BCN Challenge 2013

Odana

Featured Posts

Do we feel that this is a man who needs to be a BCN Challenge 2014 Roving Lockwheeler? Remind us all closer the time and cadge a lift in return for some locks. Though I know a few on here who will settle for beer!

Great post Steve. I read it this afternoon while going down the New Main Line into Birmingham, but I thought it deserved a better response than one handed on a phone so I left responding until I got home.

First, on a personal note thanks for posting the pictures of our boat, we don't get many pictures of the boat on the move as we are usually on it, so it is great to see them. Also glad you liked the video.

On the serious stuff it is so nice to hear such a positive story from someone who lives by the canal. A very impressive turnout on your clean up, well done.

As to the Bradley Arm I guess one problem is the lack of a destination at the end, and the fact that the canal guides have dire warnings about not being able to turn a boat at the end out side of office hours. That is just not true, and whilst the 70ft boats only just made it the shorter boats, which make up the vast majority of boats on the system, have no problem at all turning at the end. So getting CRT (Canal and River Trust) to put that right would be a help in getting boaters to feel comfortable going down there. Another possibility I think is if they could fence off a section of the canal front at Bradley works and make a secure visitor mooring there, that again would give a real reason to go down there. Perhaps something to suggest to CRT is your discussions with them.

In case you had not realised it the BCN Challenge is on the late May bank holiday Sat/Sun, and I assume it will be that weekend again next year. I thought I would point that out so you know when to get the beer in biggrin.png.

Here is one of the images used to make the video, the resolution is not that great though as its only a web cam, but thought you might like the "canal's eye view".

6ymy.jpg

Edited by john6767

As to the Bradley Arm I guess one problem is the lack of a destination at the end, and the fact that the canal guides have dire warnings about not being able to turn a boat at the end out side of office hours. That is just not true, and whilst the 70ft boats only just made it the shorter boats, which make up the vast majority of boats on the system, have no problem at all turning at the end. So getting CRT (Canal and River Trust) to put that right would be a help in getting boaters to feel comfortable going down there. Another possibility I think is if they could fence off a section of the canal front at Bradley works and make a secure visitor mooring there, that again would give a real reason to go down there. Perhaps something to suggest to CRT is your discussions with them.

Thanks for the boaters perspective, I'll be sure to raise it with the CRT when we speak to them.

Also thanks for the photo, I did look into what would be required for having a small boat (i.e. rowing boat) on the canal, turns out a very reasonable £40ish a year. Wifey said no until the garden's done though! :(

Edited by MGSteve

Here is the timelapse video of the full 24 hours of our BCN Challenge, well it is almost the full 24 hours but someone forgot to start the camera on the first day, so it starts approximately 30 mins in! At the end there is a short video clip of us in the top lock at Longwood. Enjoy.

Seems like you've made it onto a timelapse now.. wink.png

(@ 1:25ish)

Edited by MGSteve