Licence renewal

Emerald

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone help explain the following to me at all?

I recently received my licence renewal for a 57' narrowboat through the post requesting a sum of £854.68. Having paid by direct debit last year I decided I would pay the whole sum in one go this year and try and save a few quid.

The only thing is I have now received a cheque back from C&RT for £18.54. I have no idea what this is for as there isn't an explanation on the remittance form?

Edited for being a numpty whilst typing!

Edited by Escape

I recently received my licence renewal for a 57' narrowboat through the post requesting a sum of £854.68. Having paid by direct debit last year I decided I would pay the whole sum in one go this year and try and save a few quid.

The only thing is I have now received a cheque back from C&RT for £1854. I have no idea what this is for as there isn't an explanation on the remittance form?

PS Are you sure you mean £1854...?

One possible reason though not sure about the amounts.

If you pay by direct debit you do not qualify for the prompt payment discount.

If you pay in one go before your licence expires you do, so it costs less.

The only thing is I have now received a cheque back from C&RT for £1854. I have no idea what this is for as there isn't an explanation on the remittance form?

Assuming you mean £854, it looks like they've taken your fee by DD (automatic renewal w/- instalments) and 'returned' your 'overpayment' - If indeed they have sent you £1854 then they are sure to want the extra £1000 back.

Always best to cancel a 10 month DD after final payment in month 10, in writing to the bank, to stop auto renewal, if you are going for the single prompt payment.

If your new licence is not yet in force, you may be able to negotiate and change things.

Give 'em a bell. Nowt to lose, you may gain some cash back!

ETA read wrong line on chart!

Edited by dave69700

hi,just got our renewal,full fee 982.81,if i pay prompt before end of december this reduces to 884.53,ps they must receive this payment before the old licence runs out,you only get this discount if you pay in full.cheers john

according to C&RT's licencing fees link on the web a prompt payment for a 57 footer is £769.21 but the renewal notice I received and promptly paid did not make reference to this as such.

Here is the text word for word:

The licence for this boat expires on 30 November 2012

The amount that you will need to pay for your next licence depends on when we receive your correctly completed application(and any enclosures). Key dates and amounts are as follows:

Date we receive your application Amount due

up to and including 01 December 2012 £854.68 (prompt payment rate)*

From 02 December 2012 £854.68 (full fee)

until 31 December 2012

On or after 01 January 2013 £1004.68 (full fee plus late payment **)

*the prompt payment rate only applies if the correctly completed application (and any enclosures) is received by us before the start date of the licence

according to C&RT's licencing fees link on the web a prompt payment for a 57 footer is £769.21 but the renewal notice I received and promptly paid did not make reference to this as such.

The amount that you will need to pay for your next licence depends on when we receive your correctly completed application(and any enclosures). Key dates and amounts are as follows:

until 31 December 2012

*the prompt payment rate only applies if the correctly completed application (and any enclosures) is received by us before the start date of the licence

Just give the licencing team at Leeds a ring - they don't bite.... :cheers:

until 31 December 2012

This is a typo, if you have paid £854.68 in one payment, they have sent back the discount, this means you have paid the correct amount £769.21

The refund cheque should have been for £85.47

Edited by bottle

We did the prompt payment thing and we are still waiting for our licences ! ( end of garden and canal licence ) we still haven't got them and its been about a month . I've rang them and they said don't worry wacko.gif so I'm not laugh.gif so if anyone notices my boat with an expired licence please don't report me !!!

We did the prompt payment thing and we are still waiting for our licences ! ( end of garden and canal licence ) we still haven't got them and its been about a month . I've rang them and they said don't worry wacko.gif so I'm not laugh.gif so if anyone notices my boat with an expired licence please don't report me !!!

Always post via a Post Office counter and ask for a 'Certificate of Posting' - just in case....

I did prompt payment online and paid £769.21 for my 57ft

Problem solved. If I had my thinking head on I would have realised I had one month direct debit payment left to pay. The amount I did actually pay minus this one month payment meant that C&RT owed me £18.54 which they kindly refunded.

So I have paid £769.21 and cost C&RT a stamp! But it was their own silly fault for mistyping the prompt payment fee on the renewal request form.