Webasto Diesel Consumption

Tony A

Featured Posts

Does anyone know how much diesel a Webasto heater uses per hour. As I have only got 1 fuel tank it's hard to know how much is for the engine and how much for the heater.

Somewhere around the 1/2litre per hour mark as a very rough guide. This will vary depending on how cold it is, and how many things you're trying to heat up with it. (that's for a Thermo top C, if it's not one of those I have no idea)

[edited because I accidentally spelled "you're" "your" and I don't want Gibbo to kill me]

Edited by Nine of Hearts

The later ones will send out fuel used info on CAN (if you can read it). It is easily measurable. The pump injects a constant quantity of fuel each time the solenoid is pulsed. Counting the pulsea and multiplying by the fuel amount will allow you to get litres/hour. Would make a nice little project for a PIC.

The later ones will send out fuel used info on CAN

Not impossible but it's the first I've heard of it, My Thermo Test diagnostic software issued by Webasto certainly doesn't display it on any of the W bus info, though it does show the Hz of the pump so I guess a computation could be extrapolated, hardly worth the effort though as a cheap resetable,(or cumulitive for that matter) hour meter with the reading simply halved will give a close enough number for a TTC in average usage assuming the burn rate has been set correctly.

Edited by NMEA

• 3 years later...

I have run my Webasto throughout the summer for about 3/4 hour every day to heat the water. Now I am running it with the radiators turned on for 1-2 hours per day when it is chilly. When heating only the water I turned it off when I heard it shutting down for the first time to avoid it cycling on and off. Now when I run it with the radiators it doesn't shut down within the first 2 hours (sounds plausible to me because it has to heat more). My question is would it actually use more diesel during 1 hour when it heats the radiators versus 1 hour when heating only the water? I somehow think that it just fires at same temperature and it's just a matter of when it cuts out due to everything being hot?

Just trying to work out diesel consumption over time. I've almost run dry recently because I hadn't realised how much diesel it uses!

Edited by Lizzy

Just trying to work out diesel consumption over time. I've almost run dry recently because I hadn't realised how much diesel it uses!

Best practice is that the take off for the heater fuel supply is a bit above the engine supply, so if your heater supply runs out, you should still have engine power.

In the (usual) case of not having a fuel gauge, you should dip your fuel tank regularly so you always have a good idea how much fuel you have. How ofter you dip depends on fuel tank size and normal consumption rates.

If you haven't already got one, make a dipstick and mark it - mines in tenths and I work on percentage, but eighths also works well or you can faff about a tiny bit more and graduate in litres or gallons. Don't forget to allow for the take off not being at the very bottom, either on your markings or just in your head.

Edited to add that, if you allow 1.5 litres per hour for the engine and 0.5 for the heater, you'll probably not go far wrong.

Edited by Sea Dog

I just filled up full about 180l so that should last a while now being in the marina and not moving that much over the winter. I just had an engine service done and the mechanic said that I had a lot of water in the diesel. He mentioned condensation when the tank gets emptied too much. Will definitely check and top up regularly now! (Still larning something new every day)