Staying in touch while cruising

RichLech

Featured Posts

Can you tell me what kind of downoad speeds you get? (or anyone using One Plan), is it good enough to download movies / stream HD movies through a laptop / 3g router?

Thanks.

As mentioned earlier - we managed to stream iPlayer on one device at the same time as Youtube on another. I did try iPlayer in HD and there was some buffering. Speedtest was showing about 2Mbit/s but overall everything felt faster than the 10Mbit/s connection I have with our home broadband. Speedtest also reported upload speeds were identical to the home broadband. :)

Edited by Psycloud

The one plan thing - seems to be just for mobiles? Can you attach a laptop to it? I don't know about you but I don't want to be squinting at a teeny screen all the time...

The one plan is available on a phone, but it allows tethering, ie the connection of one or more computers to that device by cable or the phone's wifi. There are lots of recent threads on this very subject, search for "+one +plan +tethering".

Edited by john6767

The one plan thing - seems to be just for mobiles? Can you attach a laptop to it? I don't know about you but I don't want to be squinting at a teeny screen all the time...

The big advantage of the One Plan is that it allows you to use your phone as a way to connect your PC and other devices to the internet, wireless a bit like using a wireless router at home or a wireless hot spot in a cafe or hotel.

As I discovered on here recently - You can do this on other plans with Three but for an additional cost of £5 per month extra but the usage is capped, with the one plan it isn't it's unlimited.

ed to add - obviously your phone has to be able to be used as a 'wi-fi' hot spot - lot's of the newer smart phones can do this - my Samsung Galaxy Ace works a treat doing this as do iphones and lots of other Android phones.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks for all the useful advice.

I actually agree with those that point out that the idea is to get away, but unfortunately one of the part time occupations that helps provide the funds to get away is also one that contracts me to be available for infrequent but necessary consultation.

Happy Cruising!