Decisions ... decisions!

Ben2542

Featured Posts

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and I hope that you might be able to help with what's probably quite a common question.

We have booked a week's holiday in the mid to late August with Rose Narrowboats (which is near to Rugby on the Oxford canal), and I think I've narrowed down our best options to (1) go down the Oxford Canal through Banbury and go as far possible as Aynho, and return, or (2) go down the Oxford canal to Braunston and from there down the Grand Union as far as we can before making a return.

We are brand new to boating, but are happy to tackle some locks. Are these by best options? - I would very much welcome your preferences. Are there any other routes which you would suggest are better than those above?

Many thanks

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and I hope that you might be able to help with what's probably quite a common question.

We have booked a week's holiday in the mid to late August with Rose Narrowboats (which is near to Rugby on the Oxford canal), and I think I've narrowed down our best options to (1) go down the Oxford Canal through Banbury and go as far possible as Aynho, and return, or (2) go down the Oxford canal to Braunston and from there down the Grand Union as far as we can before making a return.

We are brand new to boating, but are happy to tackle some locks. Are these by best options? - I would very much welcome your preferences. Are there any other routes which you would suggest are better than those above?

Many thanks

Hi Ben and welcome, I dont know the area well enough to comment but try this site to compare your options then you can see them compared and with photos along the route

http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Charles

Many thanks

If your new then it doesn't matter which way you go but to enjoy and learn. Dont make it too difficult for yourselves.

Your two options will give you a very different experience from Braunston onwards so it is worth considering those differences.

The Southern Oxford to Aynho is a fairly shallow narrow gauge canal with 7ft locks, with no tunnels, although there is a long very narrow section at Fenny Compton which is an old tunnel where the roof collapsed. The S.Oxford becomes very busy in the summer and waiting up to an hour at most locks is not unusual. The number of places where you can moor conveniently close to a pub or shop are soon occupied, but there are quite a lot places out in the countryside where mooring is possible, try and find some steel piling as the water tends to be a bit deeper where this has been installed.

The Grand Union is a wide canal with 14ft locks and good depth, you should easily make it past Stoke Bruerne in a week so there will be two very long tunnels to negotiate (They are about 15 ft wide so boats can pass in them) The Grand Union is likely to be less busy and of course two boats can share each lock at the same time. Mooring close to facilities is still going to be in demand, but there is usually space at most places if you do not leave it too late. Most of the towpath side has either a concrete edge or steel piling and it is usually possible to moor easily alongside any of this edging.

Both Canals offer an excellent introduction to Boating, so the choice id yours.I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Oh by the way, a third option is to go up the Grand Union from Napton Junction towards Warwick and Birmingham. This is not really a wise choice for Novices because of the huge number of locks to deal with, and it is suprisingly busy. (or so it always seems when I am on my boat at it's Mooring near Stockton)

Edited by David Schweizer

If your new then it doesn't matter which way you go but to enjoy and learn. Dont make it too difficult for yourselves.

If you're going out and back I'd be inclined to stick with the narrow locks on the Oxford Canal for your first trip. South from Rugby was as pretty much the same route I took for my first week on a hire boat (in 1979). We got as far as Enslow before having to turn back.

• 2 weeks later...

rose are a great company, used them last year.

i would go down and through brauscston, then go down the GU mainline, very easy and all double locks with generally good mooring.

You do have to go through the tunnel, but this is very easy, just go slow.

The scenery on this route is stunning

Both Canals offer an excellent introduction to Boating, so the choice id yours.I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Oh by the way, a third option is to go up the Grand Union from Napton Junction towards Warwick and Birmingham. This is not really a wise choice for Novices because of the huge number of locks to deal with, and it is suprisingly busy. (or so it always seems when I am on my boat at it's Mooring near Stockton)

Or a fourth option Go North 1 lock and then up to the end of the Ashby canal return via a detour to Coventry total locks 2 ideal for beginners

:angry:

Another possible route would be to go through Braunston and then turn north at Norton Junction onto the GU Leicester Branch as far as Market Harborough. You will have three single locks to pass through at Hillmorton then the six double locks at Braunston followed by Braunston Tunnel. On the Leicester Branch there are seven locks at Watford (four of them a staircase) and then a long very rural summit level and finally ten locks (again a staircase) at Foxton. Foxton is an interesting site with the inclined plane and a canal museum. Very attractive basin in Mkt Harborough which is an attractive old market town.

Whatever you decide, have a great time

Many thanks

The Southern Oxford route to Banbury and back would get my vote. Bear in mind that there'll be lots of traffic during this peak season. I recommend you programme in an overnight stop at Cropredy and book a dinner before 8pm at the Brasenose pub where the food is extremely good. Beautiful scenery and, if you can get in on the limited visitor moorings, you may be able to attract a shoal of mirror carp to the boat to be fed by hand! (Old loaf required).

Banbury town centre moorings are excellent - no licensed premises nearby to disturb your sleep yet only 15-20 mins walk to find a decent restaurant for dinner. You can get a 'full English' breakfast in the department store ( is it BHS?) almost next to the towpath.

Between Braunston and Napton is the rural retreat of Flecknoe - a bit of a hike from the canal but, again, the grub at the Old Olive Bush is worth it (book in advance if possible). You'll find a potentially useful feature on cruising the Oxford Canal at http://www.canalboatmag.co.uk/Editorial.as...3A103&page=1003

Hope this helps - have a lovely week (I'm sure you will :angry: ).

gardencoaster

Before hiking up the hill to Flecnoe, it is worth giving the pub a call to see if they are open. We walked from bridge 103 to the pub a few months back only to find that it only opened a few times a week and was closed when we got there. Still, the exercise and the scenery were great.

Regards

Ernie

The Old Olive Bush is certainly worth a visit - usually opens about 7 - but the food is now a bit limited. Val now only offers bad snacks (extremely good ones) due to lack of demand.

Mind you the pub is well worth a visit even if she only offered stale bread!

The Old Olive Bush is certainly worth a visit - usually opens about 7 - but the food is now a bit limited. Val now only offers bad snacks (extremely good ones) due to lack of demand.

Mind you the pub is well worth a visit even if she only offered stale bread!

Ooops - just reread this. The ole olive bush offers BAR snacks not BAD snacks. :P

Must have typed this after too many pints :P

Sorry Val.

P.S. How do you edit posts?

Ben,

I will be very anxious to hear all about your holiday when you return. Please be sure to keep a diary as you go!

My husband and I are also hiring a boat from Rose Narrowboats for a two-week holiday next month, beginning 30 September. Our boat is the Concerto. Which one did you select?

As we will have a full two weeks, we have decided on the Leicester Loop out of Rugby, going clockwise up the Coventry, Trent & Mersey, River Soar, Grand Union and back to the Oxford.

Allie

Allie,

Believe it or not, our boat is "Concerto" too, and I'll certainly keep a log and take some photographs to send on to you! We're off for our week shortly, and I'm very envious of you having two weeks - I hope you enjoy your break.

Rose seem to be efficient and generally regarded in this forum, so fingers crossed.

Best wishes.

Wonderful!!! I can't wait to see your photos and hear all about your journey!!

We have found Kate at Rose Narrowboats to be fabulous with the details. She is a gem. I was just thinking today that I intend to bring her a little gift as a thank you for all her effort. Please give her regards from Alice Jenkins in California.

I wish you much happiness on your voyage.

Allie