Manchester Ship Canal Driftwood Etc

jerrytug

Featured Posts

Hi folks who does the flotsam/driftwood collection on the Man. Ship Canal,anyone know? Thanks Jerry

What a funny question. The MSC can be regarded as a river in it's own right, several decent size rivers flow into it Irwell, Mersey and the Weaver. The whole lot eventually joins the Mersey. Presumably everything goes out to sea as with any other river.

Unless there is anyting particularly hazardous I doubt if anybody does any collection.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi folks who does the flotsam/driftwood collection on the Man. Ship Canal,anyone know? Thanks Jerry

Are we talking driftwood in the sense of bits of water and oil soaked wood that when dried out might do for fuel?

Or are we talking driftwood in the sense of that stack of timber that fortuitously "fell" off a timber wharf five minutes ago and could be "rescued" for fitting out?

None of the above. Whatever rivers may flow in to it,it`s got locks,big shippy ones,which could be hurt by logs etc. and ships themselves might be endangered/damaged/delayed by flotsam including fuel tankers in urban areas. So there must be some form of flotsam collection. I don`t want it to put in the pot-belly,just asking what the arrangements for controlling it are,or what Co. does it,thanks again,Jerry.

The ships using the MSC and the locks they use are big. These pictures from Penine Waterways will give you some idea of how big:

msc039.jpg

msc020.jpg

(Pictures Copyright: www.penninewaterways.co.uk)

(There are more very good pictures on the site - take a look)

The flotsam would have to be very impressive to do any lasting damage to ships of this size. Generally, it would be pushed out of the way. I suppose some might get sucked into the prop but, unless we are talking tree trunks, I can't see the seamen having to make a trip down the weedhatch! I think this is also true of the lock gates - they are very big and operated by hydraulic controls. Any flotsam caught between the gates is likely to be crushed very easily.

I haven't been able to find any details of lock sluice structures but I would think that the intakes at the top ends are well below water level and covered by grills to avoid muck and rubbish being sucked into them.

The ships using the MSC and the locks they use are big. These pictures from Penine Waterways will give you some idea of how big:

msc039.jpg

msc020.jpg

(Pictures Copyright: www.penninewaterways.co.uk)

(There are more very good pictures on the site - take a look)

The flotsam would have to be very impressive to do any lasting damage to ships of this size. Generally, it would be pushed out of the way. I suppose some might get sucked into the prop but, unless we are talking tree trunks, I can't see the seamen having to make a trip down the weedhatch! I think this is also true of the lock gates - they are very big and operated by hydraulic controls. Any flotsam caught between the gates is likely to be crushed very easily.

I haven't been able to find any details of lock sluice structures but I would think that the intakes at the top ends are well below water level and covered by grills to avoid muck and rubbish being sucked into them.

If it's of any help, I have just retired after working as a dockmaster in Hull, a large port with a number of very large sea locks, docks, fast flowing river etc. In Hull there is a company on permanent contract, on call to remove any floating items such as bits of timber, old pallets etc. They have a number of workboats and tackle anything which might constitute a hazard to either shipping or to the dock infrastructure using cranebarges if necessary. In that context a relatively modest peice of tree trunk can jam under lock gates and cause extensive and expensive damage. This is also why tyre fenders are prohibited in Hull - if they fall into the dock they inevitably get trapped under dock gate cills. A regular clean up around the dock helps to keep the debris levels down to an acceptable level.

Ships can also get floating objects wedged between the propeller and the rudder - especially ships fitted with nozzles - and this can be difficult to remove either by divers or even causing an unscheduled trip to drydock. This is particularly relevant for ships on the river berths. The Humber at times has a large amount of natural floating debris such as trees and bushes, washed away from river banks, together with the occaisional old timber from derelict jetties brought down river by the ebb current which can get up to 8/9 mph at times.

As far as the MSC is concerned I would be very surprised if they didn't have a similar arrangement in place - either by contractor or by in house staff/vessels.

REgards

Howard Anguish