Mercedes engine stop lever not stopping engine

Featured Posts

18 months ago I had to replace the diaphragm in the governor on my Mercedes engine (om636)which had perished as they seem to be made of leather. Took old one out replaced new one started engine easy enough but when I went to stop engine the stop lever would not stop engine. This was before the cable was attached and no amount of adjusting the stop bolt will kill the engine.The only way at moment to stop engine is to push the control rod at the other end of governor - this has been fine so far for me with no cable ( I got used to it, as even manually didn't stop it) but the new owners of the boat want the cable/lever sorted before they collect. It's proving trickier to solve than I thought - any ideas please?

John

Just bumping this up - anyone any ideas on this wee problem we're having? Need to get the stop cable/lever to work before boat goes off to new home next weekend! It was one of those 'roundtuit' jobs that didn't get sorted - and then someone bought the boat too fast - with that as a (perfectly reasonable) condition of purchase

It would seem that those clever people at Bosch set a little trap for John in the shape of a self-ejecting pin. Said pin dropped into the works, stopping the lever from travelling far enough to stop the engine. It all felt as though it was OK

Naturally, fiddling a part out of the bottom of a tiny casting, below a lever and spring, through an opening that I could see, shine a light into or put a tool in, but only one of those at a time, was a little challenging

Anyway, all sorted now

Richard